How to select a new barrel complete ?

Ced

Hi everyone,

I would need a new barrel complete for a Orator Precision pocket watch from the 40's. I never had to order such a movement part before, could anyone tell me how/where to select/order this ?

Thank you,

Cedric.

1.jpg

First you need the cal number. You order barrel complete, which will include barrel, arbor and cap, you will need to order the spring separately. Google watch material suppliers in your country, which I think you, are in Belgium. As it is quite old you might not be able to acquire one. If that is the case, you might be able to obtain the parts on ebay or an old movement. Someone on here might have the parts. Tell me why you need the complete barrel.  You could try suppliers out side Belgium those that sell all over the world.

• Like 1

Thank you for your answer. It is an Orator calibre 18.280. To my knowledge, they do not supply parts anymore.

I could of course look for second hand movements, but they are rare and pretty expensive (as of 150 EUR).

Actually something very bad happened when I tried to unscrew the ratchet wheel...please see picture.

Hence I thought purchasing a compatible modern complete barrel with spring would be a convenient option.

Untitled.jpg

You may just need a new arbor rather than a whole barrel. You may get lucky finding a new arbor and making a new one is certainly within the ability of a good watchmaker.

I just checked Cousins and they have no parts for that calibre, ebay may be your best chance

• Like 1