L&r Watch Cleaning Machine Ultasonic Vari-Matic

I don't know Rossco, it doesn't seem that easy to me. I used to think so but after more than 30 years that I don't see a motor...it now looks like very labor intensive and no guarantee it will work at the end! Careful and meticulous work too. But on the other hand, we are as close as watchmakers as we'll ever be and careful, meticulous and intensive work doesn't scare us!!! Right?!

Thanks watchrepairguy,

I am hoping to hear from the electrical workshop tomorrow re-the motor if it is not repairable then I will follow up your lead. Will need delph web address or telephone number.

I would have replied earlier but have been on grandparent duties all day today.

Bad news the electric motor repair guy says that the motor has lost its field and there are too many broken wires in the  motor for repair. thewatchrepairirguy gave me a possible lead but have lost it so will try & send hime a message to retrieve it again.

No luck with delphelectronics to re-wire and refurbish the top half of the machine £800 a complete refurbish £1600. He said the biggest problem with the L&R vary-matics is the microswitch which takes 500v and if it leaks it damages the motor & a re-wire is required. Also another issue to be aware of is in his opinion the wiring is not safe. 

No luck with delphelectronics to re-wire and refurbish the top half of the machine £800 a complete refurbish £1600.

OUCH! I wasn't expecting that.

It must be the season for bust cleaning machines, my ultrasonic cleaner went phut yesterday.

OUCH indeed.  

I don't know what to do now. I have picked up the old motor & it is now just a box of bits. The guy found burn't out wires and even if he re-wired it he did not know where the wires should be connected !!!!!

I don,t know whether to list the machine on flee bay for spares & repair or keep it and wait for a machine on flee with a working motor or splash the cash (again) and have it re-furbished. The other alternative is to go back to the ultrasonic cleaning but the drying of the parts is a real pain and also a professional cleaner simply just does a better job.

The other option is to find where I can get another motor

Edited by clockboy

Sorry to hear about the loss of the motor clockboy.  I've been on mini-vacation and missed this thread the last few days so I hope I'm not pouring salt in an open wound. 

Is the deterioration limited to to just the motor or do you foresee the ultrasonic generator electronics are as bad?

Shame to re-ebay it but... cut your losses?

Ross,

While you have been away I found a company that will totally re-furbish the machine. So after looking at all

my options (including bank account) decided to go ahead with the re-furbishment which totals £1600. The cheapest dedicated new watch cleaning machine retails @ £7000. 

I think you've made the right choice Clockboy.  They are an excellent machine, and it's a far cheaper alternative then purchasing a comparable new model ... plus if you ever did sell it, I'm sure you'd get most of your money back - being that it's fully and professionally re-furbished ... just keep that receipt in a safe place :)

PS. please post before and after pics too mate.

Ross,

While you have been away I found a company that will totally re-furbish the machine. So after looking at all

my options (including bank account) decided to go ahead with the re-furbishment which totals £1600. The cheapest dedicated new watch cleaning machine retails @ £7000. 

Great news clockboy! That's terrific and sounds economical enough to be worthwhile.