Patek Philippe The Art of Watches Grand Exhibition at Cipriani in New York City

Just got back from going to the Patek Phillippe "The Art of Watches" exhibition at Grand Central in New York. It was AWESOME!!! Not only did they showcase all of their best watches through the years, including ones owned by superstars like Joe Dimaggio and Duke Ellington, but they let you watch the actual artists and watchmakers at work... I watched a guy cut a gear out using a lathe made in 1910... apparently this is how Patek STILL makes the majority of their mechanical movements... I thought all that would be automated by now, but nope... you can talk to the watchmakers too. They also showed off all of their most complicated movements, and let you see the way repeaters and moon phases and everything fit together. Stunning.

The exhibit ends tomorrow, so I realize this is late notice, but if you are in the Tri-State area and can get into Grand Central I say go to this, you will not be disappointed... though expect a wait to get in!!! I couldn't believe it, but we had to wait on a line for 30 minutes just to get in! I had no idea that mechanical watches had such a big fan base. I thought I'd be one of the only ones there, but it was packed. Well worth the wait though.

http://www.patek.com/en/communication/news/the-art-of-watches-grand-exhibition-new-york-2017

• Like 6

Very jealous that you got to go see this! I would love to experience this major event...I believe Patek Philippe only does these road shows in the U.S. maybe once a decade(?). I someday plan to visit the Patek Philippe Museum in Geneva B)...

• Like 1

That second photo looks like a rose engine, used to make  guilloche. I've never been able to see one in action, I'm jealous. Fascinating stuff, and there is a small community in the states that restores these machines, there are even workshops occasionally offered in their use. Not local to me, though.

• Like 1