What clock is this?

jdm

• 4 years later...

Topic resurrection, the mystery is about to be solved. I took the mov.t out of the case to show it to my mentor Lino tomorrow. I believe all works, but it's super dirty so it will be at least serviced.

One question I want to ask here, the barrel arbors for the strikes have squared sections on the back too, although smaller that winding ones dial side. Is there a reason for that?

Please excuse the poor picture.

DSC_0580.thumb.jpg.b5cf4216da67c46195d6e6e7a4f1b16f.jpg

I have seen arbors twisted like that and it is due to someone forcing the clock to wind up more when it is fully wound. What makes him say it is Austrian? Is it to do with the strike works? At the moment I can't see anything that would change my mind. If it isn't to much trouble I would like to see more of the right side of the works. 

No problem OH. I'm not really fixated about knowing who made it.

I found a signed inscription by a repairer from the the same year I was born: cleaned, rebuilt anchor and few parts.

That was the first time I looked close and put hands on a strike works and the like, upon superficial inspection it looks pretty good, some tapered pin has been replaced by twisted wire, and the hours (I believe is called) gathering pallet, that is the "anchor" mentioned above, is a bit lose on the square arbor, it appears to have been remade from brass. Master said I should shape a new one from steel, cutting the square hole with a small triangular tool, I'll see what I can do.

Then added that I should make a pervasive restauration including aesthetics, something with which I really disagree. Fortunately I was saved by someone coming to the workshop, the husband of her niece proceeded to make brass shims for a door hinge on the lathe and I quickly repacked it and left 😄

16357095643751965152260840414358.jpg

16357096118415921540080929234189.jpg

1635709737279713152067491486032.jpg

• Like 1

I can see by the pillars that I was wrong, these are so thick and plain as with Scandinavian movements of this type are shaped more like early longcase movements. The barrels are a give away too. The crown wheel to the verge is at a very strange angle, makes me thing someone has been at it. Thanks for the photos. 

jdm what made your chap say it was Austrian. 

• Like 1