Lathe 8mm. Collets??

maclerche

As some of you probably know, I am right now on the way to build my workshop. This does not mean that it is not possible to think into the future. One of the things that I definitely will buy in the future is a lathe. In addition to whether it should be new or slightly used, there is one thing I have come across that I can't figure out ... Collets.

8 mm Collets, I thought. they were similar but it seems that there are many kinds of thread on them. I am, however, reached forward to it either must be B8 or WW collets. ... Is there anyone who can answer what type of Bergeon Collets are? Is it American-WW or B8?

1 hour ago, wls1971 said:

This page will be useful to you it as a chart listing the different sizes so you can compare makers Bergeon are listed along with many others,

http://www.lathes.co.uk/collets/

1 hour ago, wls1971 said:

This page will be useful to you it as a chart listing the different sizes so you can compare makers Bergeon are listed along with many others,

http://www.lathes.co.uk/collets/

Great thanks... I have the same list from "The Watchmakers and Model Engineer's Lathe" book.

This chart leave me more questions that answers. Let me give you an examble

Bergeon Collet are listet as  0.270" - 40T.P.I

If i look at Bergeon >>>> it shut fit BOLEY, FAVORITE, LEINEN, SCHAUBLIN, STAR, and other, but they have a different  thread (Star 0.275" - .625)  

Can the chart list be too old?? 

The list was compiled on the 4/2011 and has sincere lathe collets on so is probably up to date as they are a recent maker,  If you buy a used lathe you are better getting the most complete set up you can as buying collets and accessories separate is very expensive the collets on my lathe are 0.625mm pitch so are among the most common you can find Boley 8mm ,  Lorch , star, Marshall Peerless are among the ones that will fit my lathe.

Bergeon collets are not WW but will fit most WW lathes.

• 9 months later...

That lathes.co.uk link doesn't specify the angle of the face on the collet head that is drawn into the spindle. I wonder if that angle is some universal constant?

I have been thinking about making my own collets. Dimension A would presumably be the critical one, the bore of the spindle, assuming you are making a draw tube yourself to match. Given that the collets have a keyway in them (Schaublin ones at least), drilling/reaming them to size on the target lathe should mean that they are super accurate, and compensate for spindle errors rather than compounding them.

I have no idea how I would make the fine cut through the collets once they are drilled/reamed to size. Has anyone done this?