Missing click spring - but which kind?

I just almost completed servicing a small "trench watch"including fitting a new main spring. I didn't take any snaps before dismantling but I'm pretty sure there was no click spring attached to the ratchet pawl. Question is what sort of spring, because I can't see how it would be fitted - there's no protrusion on the pawl to catch a spring and no obvious attachment point. This is a complete show-stopper having just performed a service that actually worked as planned. Almost. Anyone got an idea of what I need to find to sort this out?

Incidentally the screw holding the pawl also serves as one of the barrel bridge mounting screws. And that's not a screw to the left of it, it's a hole. Clue?

And thanks to everyone who has tolerated my dumb questions here so far.

Roy

P7200009.JPG

Edited by skridlov

It's an AS - about 23.8 mm (10.5'''?).

That spring looks like what's required. I'll have to dig through the scrap pile and see if I have one somewhere.

Many thanks for the suggestion - I was having difficulty imagining it - not sure that I've seen a similar example.

Roy

• Like 1

It's an AS - about 23.8 mm (10.5'''?).
That spring looks like what's required. I'll have to dig through the scrap pile and see if I have one somewhere.
Many thanks for the suggestion - I was having difficulty imagining it - not sure that I've seen a similar example.
Roy

I used a guitar string, E, and made a click spring. Worked really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, skridlov said:

I had thought that given the age of the movement, the assortments would be unlikely to contain one of this type - which I haven't encountered previously

Roy

The springs are usually quite bendable. The selection I bought only has straight springs. I just tried bending one around a screwdriver blade, and made a usable round spring.

• Like 1

Never had a movement with such a part (but I have seen them) I have one question. Aren't those supposed to be elastic but also pretty hard like string ?

Does an E string from a guitar actually work because I find them to be pretty easy to bend. Asking as I'm not sure how it all works and am curious.

Also, is the correct name for this click spring ? I thought the click spring is the string wire used in bezels usually...

10 hours ago, jdrichard said:

I used a guitar string, E, and made a click spring. Worked really well.

I'm assuming the high E string. They're cheap. Buy one and go into the click spring business. 

• Like 1

I don't recall seeing the caliber under the balance, nor under the dial when I was cleaning it but I'll take another look when I return to it. I'll investigate the guitar string spring method anyway. Just done a Cousins order and I hate buying small items when the P&P costs a multiple of the item in question so I usually wait until I need several things.

This is just one of many watches that are under way and I have numerous unresolved issues with all of them. It's a good way to learn - and I'm really lucky that I have literally hundreds to play with.  I've had a modicum of success in the relatively short time I've been trying to learn how to service them and turned a few into salable items - which sold. My biggest success so far was a Minerva WW2 Wehrmacht issued watch which fetched close to £300 - not bad for something rescued from a bag of "junk". Of course there have been casualties too...

Many thanks for the sage advice offered here. 

Roy

• Like 1

Hi JDR
That's an excellent solution! I know a guitarist I can hit up for one - saving yet a few more pennies. Thanks.
Roy

It worked exceptionally well. You just need a good vice to hold the low E string and a good pair of pliers and snips. Took me a few tries to get the radius right but you will have plenty of leftover guitar string. As well, the guitar string seems to have the right springiness to retain its shape.

I just checked the box in which I've got the parts for this one. In response to a previous question the movement's an AS 774 (under the dial). I've been unable to trace this caliber/calibre (the net is gradually forcing us into adopting the US spelling for almost everything, it seems.) Ranfft is a bit thin on early stuff.

Off to see my Canadian guitar playing mate...

Roy

I just checked the box in which I've got the parts for this one. In response to a previous question the movement's an AS 774 (under the dial). I've been unable to trace this caliber/calibre (the net is gradually forcing us into adopting the US spelling for almost everything, it seems.) Ranfft is a bit thin on early stuff.
Off to see my Canadian guitar playing mate...
Roy

I am a Canadian Guitar guy as well , Ottawa

• Like 1

This editing limitation is very irritating - and quite unique to this site in implementation: allows me to edit and once finished tells me I'm too late!

I'm having a bit of difficulty with the improvised spring. Making the 1.2 mm circle with the aid of screwdriver shaft was quite straightforward. However the screw which holds the pawl has an un-threaded collar to allow it free rotation - and doubles as one of the bridge screws. Even with this circular wire absolutely flat (ie no overlap) and placed under the pawl, tightening the screw immediately immobilises the rotation of the clicker. Which has stumped me. Anyone like to suggest a solution?

On 22/07/2017 at 4:13 PM, skridlov said:

I just checked the box in which I've got the parts for this one. In response to a previous question the movement's an AS 774 (under the dial)

Had a good look around to see if the part was available anywhere, but no joy and this calibre even pre-dates the AS equivalent parts list on Cousins.

It looks from your pic that the guitar string may be too thick. Does the click have a step on the bottom to accommodate the spring? You may need to measure this to see how thick the spring can be. Maybe you need to buy some extra light guitar strings!

• Like 1