Omega 1342 trimmer.

Hello, everyone,

I have an Omega 1342 watch that I need to adjust the time keeping ability of, using the 

small internal trimmer.

The watch gains about 2 to 3 seconds per week, so I need to know which way the trimmer needs to be adjusted.

Clockwise, or anti clockwise?

Thank you.

That is almost like a chronometer 2-3 sec a week that is 1,5 minutes a year. I would probably leave hat as is . Adjusting 1342 trimmer is tricky as not just left or right. If you turn to much it could go over to - or + 

• Like 2

I was thinking this was such a strange complaint until I realised we weren't talking about a mechanical calibre, but an early quartz, and I'm not exactly sure what the expectation should be with such a movement. I will say many people wear mechanical watches that are much much less accurate than that and don't consider it a problem, though. My Seiko for example, according to my timer should gain something like 15 seconds a day, but in reality, I never notice any inaccuracy. 

I remember reading about quartz trimmers in a horology book before. if I remember correctly the results of adjusting it are completely unpredictable, a small nudge one way might add a lot of time, a little time, lose a little time or lose a lot of time, what ever way you turn it. I think you can monitor the effects through oscilloscope somehow, but trial and error would be your only way in all likely-hood. 

Edited by Ishima

For this job you need a quartz analyzer. The watch should gain 0-15 sec per month not week. When you get an analyzer you can easily adjust a trimmer. I like to adjust them to 2 sec per month if I can.

When adjusting it is like adjusting the beat error in a mechanical watch you have to center it just right or it goes too positive or too negative either way you turn it.

Try to buy the Witschi Tech Handy Two. I have learned that servicing Quartz watches you can't go without one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That machine is around £2,000. I'm not sure it's a given that everyone should have one.:wacko:

If you want to service Omega's you have to have one by Omega standard. If you don't know how to read your rate, consumption and coil resistance you shouldn't be servicing ETA's and up. Especially trimmer watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see the use for trimmer watches, the necessity, even.

I was just trying to point out the fact that it is £2k (and also really rather large) shouldn't be taken for granted. 

Edited by Ishima
  • Like 2

I suppose when considering a quartz movement we are trying to obtain perfection but in reality it's a nonsense. Unless you're engaged in some type of profession that requires complete accuracy such as " Global Navigation" 2 seconds a week or even 20 seconds a week or even per day, is of little consequence to the average person.
I think my old 1984 Omega 1430 gains or loses 5 seconds a week I can't remember. I wouldn't even consider having any adjustments made to it.
I would leave well alone !
Also as Ishima makes reference too " according to my timer should gain something like 15 seconds a day but in reality, I never notice any inaccuracy " Due to variables with a mechanical movement, may even prove to be more accurate than a quartz movement, over an extended period of time, due to the consistent nature of the quartz movement with regards to time gained or lost. In some cases anyway. Now there's a thought.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

My "thanks" to everyone that contributed to my question about adjusting the Omega 1342 trimmer.

For me, the Witschi timer is but a dream.

So it will have to be a case of small adjustments, lots of patience and making notes.

Regards.

Len.

2 hours ago, Len33 said:

So it will have to be a case of small adjustments, lots of patience and making notes.

I wish you well Len.  I believe the trimmer can regulates +/- 1.2 seconds per day, please don't go mad in the process of seeking perfection! :unsure:

Edited by Geo
  • Like 1

Hello, Rogart63!

I don't know the answer to that.

All I do know, is that it is an 'in house' Omega movement and no other ETA movement will fit the case.

Out of interest, what difference would it make if the Omega 1342 is/was thermocompensated?

Regards.

Len.