What do you think of this one.

oldhippy

Modern German movement.

Case has been hacked to fit the square movement in it.

I'm guessing the pendulum is also modern and came with the new movement. Are the hinges on the case replacements too?

Will it even work as it looks like the bob looks like it would hit the sides of the case?

At a guess at full retail the movement might be worth £200. I don't know enough about French clocks to comment on the case, but I wouldn't buy it as its just wrong having that movement in that case.

Have we seen this one before?

Edited by Tmuir
Added extra question
  • Like 1

Yay, I love this game!!! It's always very instructive!

Modern movement, case doesn't look very old either, or was refinished (something doesn't look right with it). Movement and case are not meant to be together.

Fair price: $350-$500 maybe

I wouldn't buy it.

The first clock is a Franz Hermle and is a total reproduction of a earlier french boulle clock there is nothing old about the clock at all or anything french about it either but the listing only says it's in the style of, its the sort of thing that would have been very expensive to buy new my guess is sometime in the 1970's or 1980's but would have no value to a collector other than someone who collects Hermle clocks, what would I pay for it nothing, but one is always surprised at what others would pay my guess £300 to £500 tops it is not a marriage but of total Hermle production.

11 hours ago, StuartBaker104 said:

A pile of junk from China, India or wherever. Someone will think it is a bargain. There more likely to end up with a pain in the butt. Just look at the terrible platform its poor quality that goes for the whole movement.  

Wis1971 has hit the nail on the head. The only thing you have wrong is the case it’s in a very popular style of a French clock, this type of clock can be found in a French chateaux or stately home or top quality antique dealers shops.  

Thanks for your comments all of which are very Interesting.:Bravo:

Well you dont have to look far on Ebay to find some real tosh, but there are some real beauties on as well this little clock is floating my boat at the moment it just looks to my rather uneducated eye as a thing of real beauty and craftmanship I would describe this as being from the aesthetic period and think it would date between 1880 and 1900.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-UNUSUAL-SMALL-ANTIQUE-STRIKING-ON-THE-HOURS-CARRIAGE-CLOCK-CIRCA-1900s-/201990568907?hash=item2f07937bcb:g:~GUAAOSwn~ZZbeo7

Realising that beauty is in the eye of the beholder I think there would be an equal amount of people that would think this is truly hideous but my heart is ruling my head and I am already having visions of this on my mantle piece but I think this will go beyond my budget even switching the cats to Aldi own brand cat food and living on bread and water for a month is not going to enable me to buy this as I think this will fetch a very good price,

It has its problems and needs to be properly restored but I would love to own this.

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

I looked at that yesterday. I thought it was really wonderful and exceptional.  It has a very poor replacement screw holding the gong.

Yes the screw is an obvious replacement and I would have expected a regulator hanging down from the escapement so possibly it has a replacement one fitted but I am tempted to put a serious bid in I doubt I would see another its the sort of thing I could imagine would have been sold in Liberty's in the late Victorian period the case is exceptional and the mix of wood and metal I find very pleasing I shall be watching it closely I have a price in mind and hopefully if the bidding wont go crazy, I shall see. 

That is a problem with this clock not knowing about the platform, is it a cylinder or lever. You could always ask a question about the platform. Good luck in your bidding, I hope you win. I will stick my neck out and say it will fetch around £350.

• Like 1

I have a number of questions to ask before bidding.  Apart from accuracy being better in a lever escapement what disadvantage would a cylinder escapement have over a lever escapement, I could live with it not being completely original purely because I find it so nice to look at anyway I shall ask the relevant questions and hope you are right about price.

You are correct a cylinder will not keep such good time as a lever, the reason being a cylinder is not compensated, so if you live in a funny environment it will gain or slow down, of course wear is also a factor the cylinder is made of very brittle steel making it extremely hard but they do wear around the entry and release on the cylinder causing poor action on the balance wheel.

This is what interested me yesterday. I noticed one of the feet has been replaced.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-MID-18TH-C-1-4-STRIKING-BRASS-LANTERN-CLOCK-3TRAIN-3-BELLS-SIGNED-PREVEL/142449582222

If the platform escapement is original it is likely to be quite worn, but as you say, the fact you can't see the regulator lever suggests it has been replaced.

From my perspective with a clock like that, if it's running as it says then there shouldn't be anything you can't make or acquire for the movement. It will be difficult to find the right pair of hands, but will look great when finished. It would be worth confirming that the minute hand arbour to attach the hand to is present along with the hour wheel.

My guess is that it would have had Fleur de lys style hands which you can buy new, but they look, well, new!

23 hours ago, wls1971 said:

Well you dont have to look far on Ebay to find some real tosh, but there are some real beauties on as well this little clock is floating my boat at the moment it just looks to my rather uneducated eye as a thing of real beauty and craftmanship I would describe this as being from the aesthetic period and think it would date between 1880 and 1900.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-UNUSUAL-SMALL-ANTIQUE-STRIKING-ON-THE-HOURS-CARRIAGE-CLOCK-CIRCA-1900s-/201990568907?hash=item2f07937bcb:g:~GUAAOSwn~ZZbeo7

Realising that beauty is in the eye of the beholder I think there would be an equal amount of people that would think this is truly hideous but my heart is ruling my head and I am already having visions of this on my mantle piece but I think this will go beyond my budget even switching the cats to Aldi own brand cat food and living on bread and water for a month is not going to enable me to buy this as I think this will fetch a very good price,

It has its problems and needs to be properly restored but I would love to own this.

This is a really fetching piece, good luck! Some folks would look at this and think "Steampunk Heaven" :)

• Like 1

I have been having a good look at that clock. I think it is a replacement platform. My reasons being is the platform is not centre to the cut out for the platform; the colour and finish is not the same as the back plate or any of the original brass work, pluss as someone has all ready pointed out about the (regulater tail) is not in view which suggests it has been cut away in order for the door to close.

44 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I have been having a good look at that clock. I think it is a replacement platform. My reasons being is the platform is not centre to the cut out for the platform; the colour and finish is not the same as the back plate or any of the original brass work, pluss as someone has all ready pointed out about the (regulater tail) is not in view which suggests it has been cut away in order for the door to close.

Yes I think that is definitely the case after doing a bit of research I believe this clock was made by Drocourt and retailed by J.W.Benson 

Whoa, it even went past your estimate. Seems like a lot for that clock, but I don't know the clock market at all. Somebody really, really, wanted it.

Yeah, two bidders drove it the last couple of hundred. One experienced clock purchaser, one with a fairly low feedback score, The low score bidder won it!

Edited by dadistic
update