TagDocPa55

Haha..why pay someone else to screw it up when you can do it better yourself!

Pulled apart a Ford Cortina gearbox and put it together again because the shop wanted $$$ for a second-hand box without guarantee. New bearings and some synchros and it worked fine. (I knew I could do it because I had all of two years experience taking apart my 100cc motorcycle!).

Flush with confidence I then tackled the rear differential which was whining. Swapped out the bearings and took it on a test drive.. went ok until 20miles later it locked up and caused a massive jam as it couldn't be pushed off the road. Bought a second hand one but found that I performance had dissapeared (this was a mark3 GXL with a 2L). Turned out the replacement diff was from a wagon or something else (1.6?). To cut a long story short, I learned a lot about gear-meshing and final drive ratios but those lessons once learnt stayed with me forever. I also learned that sometimes the money spent to send the car to a guy with a lift was well worth it compared to spending a few hours on your back under the car juggling a jack and gearbox trying to get everything back together.

My biggest f-up tho was bolting a big end onto a crankshaft bearing .....

Anilv