Favre Leuba 253 Runs then Stops?

I have cleaned and oiled a Favre Leuba cal 253 movement and it stops and starts at random intervals. It start running if I tap it or shake it.

If i leave the watch on my desk and do not touch it, it runs for over 30 hours--and keeps good time.

I have worked on several of these movements with no problems. What should I look for when I take it apart that could be the cause of the intermittent start/stopping?

I'm assuming that something is amiss with the balance cock assembly?? because when the watch is stationary it doesn't stop until the main spring winds down.

Help!, Thanks

4-14-2017 9-18-33 AM.png

Edited by Tracy

You could be correct or an end shake issue with a wheel/s.As you strip the movement check for end shake + inspect every part + all jewels with good magnification. I use a microscope because of poor eyesight.

The first thing I would do is take it out of its case and see if it runs OK. Is it stopping at the same place, if so check the hands, make sure they are free from obstruction. Run the watch with the dial and hands removed. Are you using the correct screws for the parts? Do exactly as clockboy has said.  

As it is a two-barrel movement, did you put the barrels back together using the exact same parts as when you took it apart. I know it sounds silly but sometimes it can make a difference.

• Like 3

I agree with the above, I suggest turning the watch over on your bench. If it should stop then check  the balance pivots and if one is slightly mushroomed then when you wear it the pivot can jam in the jewel hole.  Also make sure the Incabloc jewels are sitting correctly in there settings.  

What the others have said check the components and, yes, buy one of those digital microscopes as they are VERY good and provide new insight into watchmaking.

Some cost as little as 20$ and they're decent...

OK, I turned the watch over and It ran for 20 hours, no stopping. I also stood it on the crown and flipped it 180 deg and still keeping time--no stopping. It seems to stop intermitently only when I wear it. It does not stop at the same time so I don't think the hands are hitting each other or the hour markers.

I will remove it from the case and remove the balance cock and start from there. It should be pretty clean but I could have introduced dirt without knowing it when I reassembled???

I wouldn't do anything with the watch just yet. Run it on your desk in different positions for a week or so. If the problem persists when wearing the watch, then strip it down. The only difference from the desk and your wrist, is temperature. I suspect something has been over oiled and when the watch on the wrist is warm, something is sticking due to expansion.
Over oiling is a common cause of erratic running in a movement, after servicing.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This sort of fault can also be a depthing issue. If you want to test that, you can wind the watch down, remove the pallets, and inspect the free running of the entire train. I'd pay particular attention to the interaction between the barrel(s) and centre wheel where there is a lot of torque. 

• Like 1

Hi Tracy,

Was the watch running before you cleaned it?

These are pretty robust movements but the youngest will be hitting 40 years old or so now.

I would relook the balance assembly again.

1. Clean the pivot holes again, inspect against the light.

2. Check the pivots themselves.

3. Check that the hairspring is flat (check with balance installed).

4. On these watches the hairspring is fixed to the underside of the balance-bridge. It needs to be loosened to allow the beat to be set. The screw then needs to be tightened so that it doesn't move. Check that this is not loose.

To add to Rodabod's post, If there are problems with the wheels/wheel-pivot/jewels you can remove the balance and pallet fork and wind the watch up a one or two turns. The wheels will start turning fast but as the mainspring reaches the end of its power check to see that it slows down at a constant rate and not in jerks. Once the wheels stop try to push one of the wheels in the same direction. It should not turn further than you push it. If it continues to move after you nudge it this means there is still energy in the spring and something is preventing it from being released fully. In an ideal world the wheels should reverse a bit before it stops totally.

Looking at the poor case condition I would say that this is an India watch? These guys go pretty heavy on oiling and I don't think Moebius is commonly used there. Oil on hairsprings is common and easily diagnosed but you also need to check that there is no oil residue in the pinions of the wheels.

All the best and keep us updated!

Anilv

Edited by anilv
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...