vulcan Lemania clock

Yorkie

• 2 weeks later...

Bit jealous... have wanted a cockpit clock for a while and did quite a bit at work to support getting Vulcan XH558 back in the air, so have a soft spot for it.

And confused... the Vulcan first flew in 1952, and although these clocks were used across a variety of aircraft types it beats me why they didn't have shockproof balance jewels. Didn't realise Lemania were one of the suppliers. Most I've seen on eBay are Smiths.

The MoD were insistent that shockproof settings weren't used in the earlier days. They started to adopt them around 1953 with the arrival of the General Service wristwatch (aka Smiths Deluxe and Omega '53 Fat Arrow / Thin Arrow). They later realised that shockproofing was a good idea since it did not add significant time to service or affect timekeeping negatively.

• Like 1

Thanks for that insight Rodabod, it never occurred to me that anyone would be afraid of technology that we take for granted today. I far prefer servicing a watch with incabloc settings as there is less opportunity to damage the hairspring and I find them easier to assemble after oiling without smudging the oil.