Hand Broaching Questions: Type and Second Hands

SethL

I've had enough trouble getting replacement watch hands to fit on some of my watches that I'm considering buying a set of broaching tools to help customize the fit. I have a couple of questions:

1) What is the right type of broach for hour and minute hands? I was planning on getting these: http://www.esslinger.com/broach-set-with-handle-set-of-6/ . Would they work? Are smoothing broaches preferred? Any other insights on proper tools for broaching hour and minute hands?

2) I also would like to broach second hands, especially because I have a few .22mm sub hands and those are harder to find than .20mm. I'm assuming I would need a "fine" set of broaches for that, something like http://www.esslinger.com/extra-fine-broach-set-set-of-12/ . But I believe broaching tools are tapered (a different diameter at the top than the bottom). This doesn't seem like a problem for hour and minute hands, but it seems like the pipe for second hands is long enough, that this would create a cone cut, where the bottom of the pipe may be too wide or the top too narrow. Related, I think you need to find the right spot on the broach to cut the right size and it seems like the opening at the top of a second hand pipe is smaller than the one at the bottom, which would prevent the broach from sliding through enough to find the right spot. Am I correct on this? Is broaching second hands possible? Any other insights on proper tools for broaching (sub) second hands?

Thanks much for any help!

Seth

I can only advise you with the type of broaches I used. I only ever used Bergeon there was not so many around in my days. There were two types 5 sided for cutting the other smooth. Smooth are used for burnishing the hole. Smooth are not needed for watch hands. You are correct about the pipe in a seconds hand, they are also a sod to adapt as quite often the pipe comes lose and turns while you try to broach the pipe out. The best way in overcoming this is to broach the pipe both ends.   A must is a tool that can hold the hand while you are working on it. The different sizes you need can also be put to good use as they can be used for re-bushing of a watch or pocket watches.

I hope this helps.

16 minutes ago, clockboy said:

You have to be very carful with hands as they can go out of shape. Also only remove tiny amounts of material at a time, I use Bergeon smoothing broaches. 

Do you find smoothing takes enough away to change the fitting? Also a drop of oil can help in the cutting.

1 hour ago, SethL said:

Thanks for the great feedback. Sounds like second hands are just tough. I'm definitely planning on getting a broaching holder as well. Will update with results once I get everything lined up.

Thanks again,

Seth

I just use a pin vice to hold the cutting broaches.

• 6 years later...

When broaching second hands, it's important to take extra care and ensure that the broach is aligned properly with the pipe opening. You may need to experiment with different broach sizes or consider using files or other precision tools to modify the opening of the hand pipe if necessary. It's recommended to practice on less valuable or spare watch hands before working on valuable ones to gain experience and confidence in the broaching process.
If you need tools, I recommend a website that has various tools, https://www.moonzite.com. I often buy some of the tools I need from this site. The price is very cheap and the quality is very good.