Changing the axle on a JLC pallet fork.

Anyone done that? Got a JLC 497 in today. Owner doesn't say it would have tru run perfect. But the first problem was a loose cannon pinion. Think i fixed that . Movement apart. reassamble the movement would start running. Take the parts out again. see that the axle on the pallet fork was loose. Took a closer look. It's homemade. Okay for that but the axle is to small. It was glued on with either shellac or someting else. I saw that cousisnsuk sold new axle for the pallet fork . Is it difficult to put them in. 

It's a bit fiddly and you need good magnification, but not difficult if you have a jewelling press with the right pushers in the set. I have a seitz one and the tools are here https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/seitz-jewelling-pushers-and-stake-for-levers

The staff should be a friction fit in the lever, unless in the previous repair someone modified the lever too.

When you fit it you will need to make sure that the lever height is correct so the fork lines up properly with the balance roller. There is a nice picture of what you are trying to achieve here: http://raulhorology.com/2012/10/setting-up-the-escapement-eta-6498-end-shakes-divisions/, of course in the real world that is all quite tricky to see!

• Like 1

Thought i seen it all. This is a real bad  movement . Instead of the endstone on the movement plate. Someone has put a brass leaf under the endstone holder.  And hacked up small tabs under the balance cock to create more endshake for axle. Don't now if it's worth all the trouble of making it running again? 

Think the pallet fork is gone to. So need a new one. 

There are some parts on the bay - item 112030191570. They aren't cheap, but then neither are compete watches with this calibre

Not sure that those are the same? That is Cal 497. Not cal 479.  Found one but a hefty price at $115 plus shipping. Not giving up yet though. But could take some time. I  am not married so why not be married to a Jeager le coultre? Could be worse :) 

Think the owner could take back some money if he sells the movement and the dial and hands. Someone that has the right tools could probably make a new axle. Something i can't. Not yet anyway. 

• Like 2