How do I oil this balance pivot?

Tmuir

This is from my 1920s /30s car clock.

I just realised I'm unsure how to oil the top pivot on the balance.

The bottom pivot was easy, the cap jewel was just held in place by one screw so I could remove the cap and put a drop of oil carefully on the centre of the jewel before putting back the cap jewel.

But I can't see how you remove the top cap stone to oil the top jewel. I really hope I don't need to remove the balance from the balance bridge and oil from underneath as I don't yet feel confident enough to do that yet.

Looking forward to your advice.

balance.jpg

This is from my 1920s /30s car clock.But I can't see how you remove the top cap stone to oil the top jewel. I really hope I don't need to remove the balance from the balance bridge and oil from underneath as I don't yet feel confident enough to do that yet.

balance.jpg

You will have to remove the balance to oil the pivot.  Maybe you should leave it just now if you are not confident.

Yes, two ways to oil this type. Turn around the balance cock and add oil to the hole jewel while holding the balance carefully no to touch the spring with the oiler. 

Or remove balance with hairspring from the cock. Remove those two screws holding the cap jewel from the cock. Add oil to the cap jewel and reassemble.

• Like 2

Or remove balance with hairspring from the cock. Remove those two screws holding the cap jewel from the cock. Add oil to the cap jewel and reassemble.

This also alows for the proper cleaning and inspection of the pivot, hole jewel and cap jewel

• Like 1

There is no need to take anything apart. Just unscrew the complete balance and turn it over, with a pair of tweezers lift the balance slightly up and away from centre then with your other hand with an oiler drop oil into the centre of the jewel, gently put the balance complete back and screw it back into place. Just make sure no oil gets onto any part of the hairspring.     

There is no need to take anything apart. Just unscrew the complete balance and turn it over, with a pair of tweezers lift the balance slightly up and away from centre then with your other hand with an oiler drop oil into the centre of the jewel, gently put the balance complete back and screw it back into place. Just make sure no oil gets onto any part of the hairspring.     

Thanks

I'll give that a go. It is an oversized movement, about 58mm in diameter, so atleast its a large one to try on.

My night classes don't start again until the 26th and I really want to bring in this clock finished with a re-silvered dial which will also be something new for me to try.