1971 Timex Electric Mickey Mouse

In 1971 Timex introduced the first battery operated Mickey Mouse watches.  They were available in both gold toned and chromed cases. Here we have a gold toned case example I just bought as a BIN off eBay for $8.00.  Based on the sellers pictures it was quite easy to see it was messed with at some point ( no hands or crystal).  But, I figured for 8 bucks it worth a shot.

So lets see what we have and what can be done.

DSC05537.JPG

DSC05538.JPG

DSC05539.JPG

At this point it look promising since the balance and hairspring are intact.

So I continue with the breakdown and do find one dial tab is snapped off.  Not much of an issue.

DSC05543.JPG

DSC05545.JPG

DSC05546.JPG

Edited by JerseyMo
Added to topic
  • Like 1

I began the remaining tasks for the restore this morning.  First was to clean out the movement and reapply lubrication afterwards.

I decided to give denatured alcohol a try. Time will will tell if it was a good option.  All cleaned and lubed, ready to put it all back together.  Note the wear to the case, this is very common with Timex.  

I knew I had spare hands for this one which is one reason I bought it.  I also noticed it was missing the dial ring.  that is one item I have plenty of thanks to F.S. ( More about Fred in future posts).  

Fitted with a new crystal and ready for a daily wearing.  I did have to adjust the sweep some as it was just touching the crystal.

With a light bend down it looks to have taken care of that.  

DSC05548.JPG

DSC05552.JPG

DSC05554.JPG

DSC05555.JPG

DSC05556.JPG

DSC05557.JPG

DSC05559.JPG

DSC05562.JPG

DSC05564.JPG

• Like 2

I like Micky watches. I remember seeing a lady police officer wearing one and the smile when she saw I had spotted it.

I have a Fossil Mickey in a similar style to your Timex. I wear it to high powered meetings...

When people refer to a 'Mickey Mouse' set up I'm inclined to point out that Walt Disney Studios is a Mickey Mouse set up and did all right.

It's OK, nurse says it's time for my tablet. Bye - bye

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...