Watch Parts: Eu Commission Final Ruling - Announced 29 July 2014

Source: https://www.cousinsuk.com/page/news

Commission closes its investigation into the refusal by several manufacturers of prestige/luxury

watches to supply spare parts to independent repairers.

The European Commission has closed its antitrust investigation in the sectors of the supply of spare

parts and the provision of repair and maintenance services for luxury/prestige watches in several

member states (notably France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the UK).

The investigation concerned watches which are typically worth repairing and maintaining (in that

regard, the Commission focused on watches sold above a certain retail price). The Commission

investigated, further to a complaint by the European Confederation of Watch and Clock Repairers'

Association ("CEAHR"), whether the discontinuance of the supplies of spare parts by prestige watch

manufacturers to independent watch repairers (i.e. repairers that do not belong to their respective

official networks for repair and maintenance services) may constitute an infringement of EU

competition rules on restrictive agreements and abuse of a dominant position (Articles 101 and 102 of

the Treaty on the Functioning of the EU, respectively). Following a comprehensive investigation, the

Commission has concluded that there is limited likelihood of finding such an infringement in the

present case.

I'm not sure if I'm just being naive but is this a way of the larger prestige manufacturer's stopping amateur watch repairers who may not know what they are doing (me for instance) from buying parts and attempting repair of a watch, only to have it fail and then they blame the manufacturer and perhaps tarnish their reputation?  Or just corporate greed?

I believe it is a way to not just do that, but to have all distributors and independent watchmakers (and of course hobbyists like me) on a leach or worst. Total Swiss-watch-world dominance scheme! I wonder what the Asian market will do. Maybe the Swiss are shooting themselves in the foot (long term).

Something to think about:

Existing clone Chinese made ETA/Unitas movements 1 to 1 swappable.

Nice looking and dependable Japanese name brands.

Name brand Cloning market (for those that don't care)...

Maybe I'm stating the already known pattern here, but the reality is they are not the only ones out there! It is a pity they have assumed that position that negates their design for serviceability and thus an opportunity for everyone to be able to do so for profit or not.

Well, we've mentioned this before on the forum. I'll repeat my own view that two things will happen:

(1) The market for s/h "spares or repair" watches will blossom (2) non-Swatch Swiss watch movement firms, and Asian firms, will also blossom.

• Like 4

Well, we've mentioned this before on the forum. I'll repeat my own view that two things will happen:

(1) The market for s/h "spares or repair" watches will blossom (2) non-Swatch Swiss watch movement firms, and Asian firms, will also blossom.

Very true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will, bear with me as I'm not familiar with this issue but you're saying the market for buying and selling of "spare parts" watches and/or the sale of replacement movements will blossom?

I haven't had to buy any spare watch parts yet, or price them, but judging solely on the inflated cost of Swiss made tools so far, is the same likely to be true, inflated pricing on Swiss made watch parts or as they are trying to do, block the sale entirely?  

That's sad, it IS corporate greed then.

Edited by RosscoInOshawa

In this months bhi journal (August) a letter has been published by myself "has the industry hit a destruct button"  

The BHI CEO Dudley Giles also relied.

To summarise his reply. The BHI is not a trade association but the BHI board of directors is keenly aware that the membership wishes to know where they stand. The conclusion is that the BHI feels honour bound to move in step with "our european colleagues" He also reminds members of the failed attempt by CEAHR several years ago to address the imposition of anti-competitive & restrictive practices.

I take it from this that nothing will happen and the only change will be is in time any future customers will gradually move away from Swiss watches as the bad news spreads.

Edited by clockboy
  • Like 1

It's the watch owners who will ultimately be screwed as 'choice' is removed from the equation when deciding on who to send their repairs to. The watch houses will be able to charge whatever they damn well like and the customer can take it or leave it.

Watch repairers on the other hand will always have work to do, so will not lose out much.

I feel for the watch owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3