Junghans Max Bill Dial Repair/Replacement

Hi Everyone!

I'm an aspiring watch collector. I've just started, and I'm only just looking for watch that really catch my eye with movements that I find interesting, and are within budget.

Right now, I'm looking at a Junghans Max Bill Automatic.

Model: Max Bill
Reference: 27.3500
Case No.: 706
Movement: Automatic / Automatic
Basic Cal. ETA 2824-2
Case Material: Steel

As you can see below, the watch is pre-owned and is showing a lot of use. That in itself is not a problem; I love how characterful well-worn watches look. But the dial on this watch is, in my feeling, beginning to affect the usability. A watch to me is first and foremost a tool; the dial is at that point where it is starting to prevent the wearer from getting the most use from that tool.

My question is this: Will this kind of scratching / damage likely come off with cleaning and general servicing?

And if not, are there places where I can source a replacement dial for it? I've briefly googled for replacement dials, but I haven't found any so far. Suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks!

junghans-max-bill-auto.jpg

Welcome!

I'm sure if anyone here knows a source for Junghans dials then they will share, but most of the time with vintage watches your chances of finding a replacement dial are extremely small. The same is true of hands for most makes, but Omega hands come up for sale from time to time.

Dials can be repainted, but factor in a minimum of £200 for a decent job... which at best will leave you staring at something a little too new and shiny looking.

I generally pass by any watch that has a dial I couldn't live with as is.

Hi Splat,

Any attempt at cleaning would only makes things worse.

I am usually not a fan of re-done dials but in the case of this watch I would say it deserves a pristine face.

The reason is that the Max Bill is all about the overall design and the dial plays a major part of the design in its minimalist starkness. Here, the scratches 'clutter' the dial and the beauty is lost.

Below pic is how it should look, compare it to the OP's post.

Having said that, good redials cost a bomb and the font used is unique so its probably easier said than done.

pic found on the web...

rgds

Anilv

Edited by anilv

Thanks, @StuartBaker104. I was after one of these a couple of months ago, but it was quartz so I passed on it. With the face of the dial being the most visible and contributing the most market value to the watch, this automatic example (without a date window :( ) is for sale within budget. Then again, there's that face. I may have to pass on it again.

I completely agree @anilv. Max Bill's bauhaus effort here is masterful. This is why I can only justify grabbing this watch if I could get the dial repaired reasonably well. And I think I'll pass on this for now. In the Philippines, I don't imagine there will be many professional shops that I could trust to do this watch justice. And I think a restoration of this kind needs to go to someone who is an "expert" in this model series. Someone who's already done it, and knows what they're doing. That font face is especially tough to get right.

The main reason for the scratches seems poor mounted and scratching hands. Hope you can do it better after sourcing a new or reprinted dial!

But my 1st idea would be: ask Junghans in Germany for a dial and/or send them your watch.

Frank

Edited by praezis