Clock Oiling

Folkvisor

Cause it is that is one of the many reasons why there are so many lubricants about. You never use a thin oil on a clock train. You do use watch oil on a clock with a platform escapement and I would suggest a pocket watch train oil.

The bell doesn't ring very well because the beater dampens the bell when hitting it.

Is there a way to remedy this?

It is called a hammer that hits the bell. Bend the hammer closer to the bell; it is a trial and error until you get it right. If you have the movement out of its case, it will sound different. Cases were designed in a way so the sound of the strike or chime could sound loud and clear to the ear. Modern clock cases are not, the type of wood also plays its part.

Will do. It's called a hammer for orchestral bells too.

The hour chime is a very nice full sound but that hammer seems to hit the chime then immediately drop away. 

Between the bell hammer and pendulum length adjustments It keeps me busy. A work in progress.

Thank you for your advice.

This is a sign that the chiming wheels are not in line with the clock chiming mechanism. Is there any way you can take a few photos so I can point out what you need to do. The other thing do you know the type and make of the movement?

• 2 months later...

Welcome aboard Dave.

Thank you for the post, it's one I've meant to make for a while now.  I too have been using fully synthetic engine oil for lubricating clocks for years now and have had excellent results.  The dregs left left in the new container from one engine oil change will give you enough oil to lubricate many clocks.