Quartz battery tester?

Len33

For the hobbyist, what would you suggest as a reliable and reasonable quartz battery tester?

Something that is easy to apply, accurate and moderately priced.

I don't mean the £1.99 free post Hong Kong battery testers!

To test the battery, just use any multimeter. But that is not normally needed, because if you work with quartz watches, you should have a new battery to replace, and one is interested in getting the watch to work.

Note, what has been linked above does not have a "line free" function, which is useful to free up watches that have got stuck old oil, (do not assume that is a so common case). It is also ridiculously priced. Check Ebay item 121926556898 for a model that has that.

Edited by jdm

jdm is spot on. I use a £30 quartz tester with line free. However the battery test bit is poor so I use a separate Chinese special. Mine only cost 99p

I don't though assume a new battery is fine. A quick test can save hours of grief. I was that man!

Cheers Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a "multimeter"  (volt/ohm meter)  is not the proper tool for battery testing.   besides  voltage,  you have to put a load on the  bat..  these type meters are expenceve  and wear out.  new battery is the easy way.  vin

a "multimeter"  (volt/ohm meter)  is not the proper tool for battery testing.   besides  voltage,  you have to put a load on the  bat..  these type meters are expenceve  and wear out

Never happened to me. Voltage under no load has always been a 100% reliable indicator of batter status, and my digital cheap meter works good as when new 20 years ago.

above does not have a "line free" function, which is useful to free up watches It is also ridiculously priced. Check Ebay item 121926556898 for a model that has that.

That eBay "economy" tester is what I have been using for years.  It has proved to be very useful, and at the price can't be bettered!

• Like 1

Has anyone got the instructions for the one JDM mentioned above. I bought one last week and there were no instructions with it. Ta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a read of this thread:-