Case screws - clock wise or anti clockwise

Hi folks.

Trying to remove an ETA 251 262 from its case.

The case screws (securing a washer) appear to keep the case in place by being snuggly fixed beneath a formed, thin raised lip that runs the entire circumference of the inner case.

The lip has an indent opening very close by that would fit the size of the washer being held in by the screws - thus enabling the movement to be remove from the rear (not front/bezel loading case in this instance) by moving the movement a few mil to the side.

The screws are pretty tight so don't want to pressure them too much.

Question is, are they to be turned clockwise or anti-clockwise (no arrows in view suggesting which way to turn) in order to free up?

It's a Maurice Lacroix case if that helps and I know some Swiss cases have a clockwise set up for this scenario.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Seen that type of cases. But it's more a screw with that has a part of the head removed. They are screwed all the way down in the movement. insert the movement and tighten it against the lip in the case by screwing anticlockwise. Could very well be that your watch case has the kind of arrangement. Remove the stem and see if you can tighten the screws a little. On the other end there is washers that have bend and when you tighten up the screw it press the movement and dial down. 

A picture would help? 

Edited by rogart63
  • Like 1

Old Hippy and rogart63...thank you kindly for taking the time to answer my question.

I should of course have included an image with the first post.

Here is the issue as best as I can capture.

The washer is tucked below the lipping...there is an opening in the lip next to the screws...it looks like you loosen the washer and turn the movement to fit the washer/screw through the gap to remove from the rear...

As Old Hippy suggests my head says anticlockwise...but my intuition suggests I have to screw into the plate to release the washer from the lip.

The screws have never been removed before and I'm a little worried that I could de-head them if I guess wrong by applying too much force leaving the washer still in place.

At the end of the day I have a new movement on the way anyway, so don't mind slight damage to the existing faulty one, but I'd like to keep the screws rather than having to track down replacements...any thoughts having seen the image?

Thanks in advance!

maurice chrono 1.jpg

Thanks oldhippy...wont that just raise the head of the screw though and bring it into firmer contact with the lip?

If I screw clockwise it'll drive the screw down and away from the lip...I turn the movement to the opening...and remove it...and then turn anticlockwise to remove the screws from the movement?

Here's another close up image...

And once again thanks for the reply!

maurice chrono 2.jpg

• Like 1

Hmm...stating to think this is indeed a washer head screw...tried anticlockwise and my Bergeon 0.5 and 0.8 are ripped without moving a micro...

Not to worry...I'll sharpen them up and try again clockwise...thanks for your help and advice so far guys...

Cheers

Movement out...pesky little blighters were indeed washer heads...clockwise into the movement plate, turn movement and remove...many thanks gents for all of your help...

All I need to do now is strip down a 251/262 with its 15 wheels, four motors, six............................