Hello from the heart of New York City

Hello there everyone! I'm an antiques dealer, and I have become just insanely addicted to mechanical watches, especially Bulovas from the 20s - 40s. They are just so gorgeous. I've been restoring a few with servicing, redials, (only when the original dial is just destroyed beyond hope) and even some replating of the cases (again only when the thing is so destroyed you would never wear it). I love working on Bulovas, the parts are so interchangeable, the movements are super cheap to buy on eBay, and if I screw a movement up, I can just buy another :biggrin: - but I just had to say hi and let everyone know that after watching Mark's youtube video on changing a Cyma balance, I attempted my first balance staff replacement on a little 10AN movement, aaaaaand... it worked!!!!!!!!! It's in the watch ticking away! I know there's so much more to learn, especially about timing the thing and positional errors etc... but wow!!! What an awesome feeling... I just wanted to share with people who could appreciate what a big deal that is!!! I had all these junky old Bulova movements from eBay with broken staffs, and now I don't feel helpless trying to fix them. Thank you thank you thank you Mark!

• Like 1

Hi Radiumgirl, I think you are now addicted! As I am too. I know very little, and without Mark's videos and the great advice I have received from this forum I would have never have attempted anything other than having a look and touching nothing. The first watch I "fixed" had such a great feel good factor attached to it that I wanted more, and so I am also addicted, LOL. Best regards. Johnnie

• Like 1

- but I just had to say hi and let everyone know that after watching Mark's youtube video on changing a Cyma balance, I attempted my first balance staff replacement on a little 10AN movement, aaaaaand... it worked!!!!!!!!! It's in the watch ticking away! 

Awesome!

And Welcome!  Now that you've conquered Bulovas, there's Gruens, and Hamiltons, and Illinois, and .................

Have Fun!

• Like 1