Anyone buying watches online? Risky?

I found this website (I won't say the name because I don't want to appear to be promoting this site) where they offer watches for a very low price if they can get a predetermined number of people signed up to purchase them..

I just committed to buy this Victorinox Ambassador Automatic Chronograph Watch for $399... These watches are all brand new either from an authorized dealer or from the factory. But some offer no warranty but others do offer a full factory warranty. I think I'll take my chances with this one since the retail is over $1,900...

So tell me what you guys think? Would you take a chance online without actually looking and holding and feeling a watch? What's your preference?

MD-21410_20160608101003_fa664c7ef8399312.jpg

If it looks too good to be true then it probably is.

There are "broker" sites that sell some high value watches at a discount which do sell legitimate watches - do your own research :-) As I understand it, some manufacturers require their authorised dealers to take certain quantities of certain watches in order to be able to stock more popular pieces.  Sometimes these dealers need to offload these other watches, but are not allowed to advertise them below the authorised price... hence the brokers.  I bought my speedy pro this way and have no reason to doubt its authenticity.

• Like 1

I did do research.Tgey seem legitimate.. .and have previously purchased a watch prior...I should receive that first watch next week..I'm just nervous until I receive my first watch from them...then evaluate it and them. 

I'm not sure which kind of risk we're talking here. If it's about not receiving the real item, when paying with PayPal, and/or a Credit Card, the buyer is 100% protected, even for items lost or stolen in transit. That even if the price paid is ridiculously low, as thread full of believer demonstrated on another forum.

If the risk is that the watch is not up to promise, that would be subjective. But there are plenty of online reviews to help decide. For sure, it is an high quality watch.

BTW. If you read industry news, it's public knowledge that the ETA group has an excess production, and the Swiss in general are not growing anymore. Maybe this sales liquidation is a consequence of that.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did do research.Tgey seem legitimate.. .and have previously purchased a watch prior...I should receive that first watch next week..I'm just nervous until I receive my first watch from them...then evaluate it and them. 

Well, all is not good. Received my first watch from the website and, although it did ship with a 2-year factory warranty, it appears to have an issue with the movement. The escapement is terribly noisy! I've already opened a service ticket for a warranty repair...

IMG_20170711_232927.jpg

Try eliminating noise in the room, adjusting gain on the instrument, and let it run for 48 or more hours.

Unfortunately, my timing machine is a cheap one...no adjustment for gain. I can actually hear the irregularities with my ear when I hold the watch close. It is keeping reasonable time, actually great time. Only lost a few seconds in the last 24 hours...but I'm very fussy about having a watch run cleanly and without irregularities...

What watch do you have on the timer? Just curious.

I've bought watches on line but only from a known reputable bricks and mortar store. I don't think I'd buy a watch on line otherwise.

It's a inexpensive watch, Spinnaker. It has a Seiko NH 35 movement.. I only paid $99

IMG_20170712_090113.jpg

Unfortunately, my timing machine is a cheap one...no adjustment for gain. 

Yes, it has it, I've had one like that before. Just press up/down while measuring. Also turning around the watch on the holder may help in getting a more correct reading.

Hello,

There are many reliable shops online for purchasing genuine pieces at discounted prices. It is important to research the site you plan to purchase from, and I suggest purchasing a low priced piece to have a look at how the process goes and what kind of product you receive before making any large investment.

Another good evaluation of a reliable watch source is to email them as well as call them for inquiries and further information about the piece you're interested in. The reliable sources are very knowledgeable and will take the time to work with you as their customer.

If you have any doubts, ask that their return policy be emailed to you so you have it in writing, but my experiences have fortunately been very positive purchasing online. Known as the "gray market," you're purchasing a genuine product without the manufacture's warranty (or exuberant price), however many online shops offer their own warranty on the product (Jomashop out of New York for example).

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

These cheap timegraghers are limited but for what they are, they are excellent. As Jdm said, let it run for a while. Then try in the 3 positions, crown up, crown down, vertical with crown to the left. If no better send the watch back if possible. Spinnaker are very good value with a sound movement, normally.
If you need too, a replacement movement is around £40 including tax and postage

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1