Wakmann I just bought

CKelly

Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted anything, I retired a year ago and have been busy working on our house and keeping busy with watches but haven't really had anything worth sharing until this week. Anyway I put an ad in the local paper looking to drum up a little business or maybe even buy some interesting watches. Yesterday I bought a box of assorted watches. Got two 18s Elgin pocket watches, one accutron, a handful of other watches and this Wakmann. As soon as I saw it I knew I was going to have it. I offered the guy who owned them $300 for the lot and he said $350 and I said Ok. The Wakmann doesn't run yet because the hairspring looks like a birds nest. I know Mark has a video about how to straighten out hairsprings and I have done a few but this is beyond me so I have ordered a balance complete from Jules Borel at what I thought was a very reasonable price.

Hope you enjoy the pictures. I did take a close up of the movement ring because it looks as if someone used tar as a seal. I have put the movement back in the case just to show what the watch should look like when it's finished. Also see the tangled hairspring. I'm not sure what happened but the regulator arm was pushed into the center wheel so I'm guessing the wheel caught it.

DSCN3398.JPG

DSCN3400.JPG

DSCN3401.JPG

DSCN3403.JPG

• Like 3

I second @oldhippy's assessment- for some reason rubber gaskets turn to pitch if they aren't changed out eventually.

Interesting chronograph bridge on this movement- it looks like it has been milled down and does't have the normal Wakmann inscription on it.  The dial, bezel, hands, and case are in fantastic shape though.  Quite a nice haul for the price. :thumbsu:

Hi,

Just wanted to say that I did some research on this watch and found it could have been assembled by Chas Gigandet which is how the movement is marked. Did see some others similarly marked so I assume it is correct. By the way the movement is a valjoux 236 and is now running very well. When I checked after installing the balance my timeograph read +4 seconds.

I know people sometimes use that sealant to repair a failed gasket but it gets everywhere and takes a while to clean out. I found it up under the dial and about everywhere it could get. The replacement gasket was maybe a $1.00 or less. Had to buy 3. Anyway balance came in this past Saturday and watch is now running well. Just looking for a nice 22mm band now.

Hi again,

When I read oldhippys' post I just couldn't believe how the one gasket could have failed and made such a mess. When I cleaned out the watch case I saw the goop was not where the gasket should have even been. There was pitch up under the case back, on the movement ring and it had oozed up under the dial. I guess the gasket could have basically melted. Didn't think of that.