ORIS Big Crown Pointer Date

anilv

Hi guys,

Thought I'd share some pics of my Oris Big crown with pointer-date (circa 2009?).

Simple classic design and quite in the spirit of the older Oris watches.

P_20170628_205729.thumb.jpg.64eeb9d4ae6e90879a963b95d7fc6e3d.jpg

The case back gives a good view of the ETA2836 inside. The red rotor was a Oris touch. The edge of the caseback has a coin-edged design, similar to the front of the watch. This improves the look of the caseback as the metal edge would look too big otherwise. Increasing the display window wouldn't work I think as that would only show the movement holding ring.

P_20170628_205744.thumb.jpg.a00d0f03b7c4413c739dc39272b52319.jpg

The line is still pretty decent..

P_20170628_205651.thumb.jpg.4af1e342ac72ecd7bb39833ad7227e00.jpg

And the bracelet is nice and supple.

P_20170628_210245.thumb.jpg.ae908284bbfb011022fe88e5eea4f4a8.jpg

But the design of the clasp is a bit plain.

P_20170628_210225.thumb.jpg.2364f3f423e9930db56fe3056127a5ef.jpg

Oris deserves credit as it was one of the brands which was instrumental in bringing back the Swiss watch industry back from brink of the abyss. In the late. 80s and early nineties, their classically designed watches using ETA movements sold well by focussing on the mechanical movements and using it as their USP. Their tag-line at the time was 'high-much', as seen on the rotor in the movement pic above.

This watch came my way as a part exchange for an Omega Constellation. The previous owner had gotten the Swiss watch bug but as he got deeper into the hobby he started to appreciate other brands. To be specific, he was  getting into the 'manufacturer' brands as opposed to 'ebauche' brands. It's a shame as this watch is quite good as it is. Ah well, the previous owner should be into Pateks by now!.

Anilv

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Glad to see your posting and I havn,t forgotten my promise to post my vintage oris collection, the points I didn,t thnk of when I welcommed your suggestion is how do I post nearly a thousand pictures, then I thought I,ll show a sample of each and the rest piled up as one would potato. Next,  though my photo equipment are proffesional, I am not, I have known all along I need an instructor for equipment set up and some basic know how for thier use.

Finally I run a risk of my account canceled off if I cause too many more problems on the forum.such as using too much space posting a too many pictures.

So if anything goes wrong, I can always blame it on you

:pulling-hair-out:

Regards