calipso water resistance testor

zebulon

hello i have a calipso tester that is giving me an issue the unit hods pressue fine the problem seems to be the pump can only reach 6 atm easily after that a lot of ressistance to pump and it only adds pressue inthe last inch of stroke still goes to 10 atm but with ridiculous amount of pumping will o ring kit have parts for backflo preventor in bottom of pump or do i need other parts any help will be greatly appreciated

I'm not sure about the unit in question but 10 atm is a lot of pressure. You may want to considering getting realistic and only test to 6am to prevent stress and damage. It is already twice as much as the "industry standard" of 3atm.

thanks for input realistically thats about what i would test to but when the customer with one of the new deep blue and others rated to rediculous depth is standing on my sholder would be nice to go to 10 on a tester rated at 11 atm after battery change. realisticly the watch will only see the pool if lucky

Some people use a compressor to avoid working the pump. I see that a small / cheap one can produce 8atm. Check if there is an air port on your unit, there is one on my Chinese.

Edited by jdm

Here's my two cents.
Splash proof =3atm, swimming and such = 5atm, general water sports = 10atm strictly speaking but I'm dubious of that, professional diving =20atm plus. 

Now you're never going to test to 20atm unless you get some serious hardware and its a whole level of responsibility (the divers' safety) that just isn't worth taking, anyone who wants a watch guaranteed for diving is best either refered to the manufacturer or to someone who can do a full 20 atm test. (in my case that's my company's workshop)
As a side note you have to be very careful what you say when explaining this, you start talking about meters of depth and they say "i don't go down that deep anyway" which isn't the point, and you try explaining the point and they've already heard what they want to hear and insist it's fine when you know it's not.

It would be nice to test to 10atm for those who are doing water sport activities, but usually you dont even know who these are as they dont express any particular concern, and it's a small enough jump from safe for swimming to safe for watersports and so few people want the watch for that purpose... yeah, to my knowledge i've never had a waterproof problem from someone doing water sports that i've tested at 5-6 atm, so you can do it at 8 to be extra careful and you're good as gold.

Really you are at a reasonable point for pressure testing is what I'm getting at. 

Edited by Ishima
  • Like 1

thank you ss steel i accidently started a avalanch but you may have answered my original question where to get parts i will try that site. the only issue i have is my relative is with dod on one of the army bases and all these guys love the marathon watches and i am sure in there operations they need to trust their time peices thats why i had to set aside well actually put my 5555/98 on ebay.already planned on going to a air compressor if couldnt locate pump parts. thank you much for your input and i also apreciate every one else who have helped on this matter

• 5 months later...