Broken fixed pin link ?

Hi new here so a big Hellow to you all and hopefully I can get enough advice to help me get my sons watch fixed !!! the watch is a Scuderia ferrari 2 tone s/s watch strap / black face. cut a long story short the watch was dropped from the fifth floor level off our hotel in Ibiza a few weeks back ! anyway found the watch which had only a snapped strap and the second hand had stopped working. so okay looking at the strap I thought it would be a simple case off removing a link ( broken one ) and just having the strap slightly shorter which would not have been a problem , unfortunately the link that broke was was one off the non removable ones on the strap ie fixed pin type. the pins have snapped so they are flush within the sides off the link and so cant be pulled out.. what now ? is there any way off removing these broken fixed pins ? 

any help / advice would be very much appreciatted.

Hi new here so a big Hellow to you all and hopefully I can get enough advice to help me get my sons watch fixed !!! the watch is a Scuderia ferrari 2 tone s/s watch strap / black face. cut a long story short the watch was dropped from the fifth floor level off our hotel in Ibiza a few weeks back ! anyway found the watch which had only a snapped strap and the second hand had stopped working. so okay looking at the strap I thought it would be a simple case off removing a link ( broken one ) and just having the strap slightly shorter which would not have been a problem , unfortunately the link that broke was was one off the non removable ones on the strap ie fixed pin type. the pins have snapped so they are flush within the sides off the link and so cant be pulled out.. what now ? is there any way off removing these broken fixed pins ? 

any help / advice would be very much appreciatted.

Pics are required for help. The biggest issue is the watch has stopped & this should be the first issue to be addressed. If the strap can not be fixed a new one should not be to difficult to source and fit. 

Thanks for the welcome guys, okay pics attached. in answer to the last reply can live with the second hand not sweeping, the hour / minute hands are working fine which I am okay about considering we thought the watch was going to be in several pieces / smashed screen etc !!  could replace the strap just wondered if there was a way off keeping the original and removing this fixed pin link ? 

watch1.jpg

• Like 1

Okay thanks watch is no longer made so guess its just acase off getting a similiar size / style strap !

pity I thought there may have been a tool that would remove the broken pins but guess they may be in there for good !!

If the watch isn't running properly, there is no point in fixing the bracelet. Do you know what movement (miyota, rhonda, ETA) is inside? The best bet is to replace it. One can be ordered from any watch parts house for about $20. If you really must try to fix the bracalet, You will have to find a few donor links. The short piece can be removed from the lug and then you'd have to remove two pieces from the long end. It might be easier to simply replace the bracelet with a similar one.
JC

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

The bracelet looks like an easy repair to me. Use bracelet pliers or a hammer and a pin punch to drive the broken pin from the narrow part of the broken link. Then find a sting bar to replace the pin. You may need to drill out the hole to take the spring bar. Ensure there is no debris in the larger part of the link. With a spring bar fitted in the narrow part, depress the spring bar ends and manoeuvre into the larger part. This may take patience and bionic fingers.

Cheers Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bracelet looks like an easy repair to me. Use bracelet pliers or a hammer and a pin punch to drive the broken pin from the narrow part of the broken link. Then find a sting bar to replace the pin. You may need to drill out the hole to take the spring bar. Ensure there is no debris in the larger part of the link. With a spring bar fitted in the narrow part, depress the spring bar ends and manoeuvre into the larger part. This may take patience and bionic fingers.
Cheers Neil

That's no easy fix, then! [emoji375]

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

???
Nothing difficult in what I suggested. 10-15 minutes work.
Or were you being ironic?

Ironic. Since he is new to the forum, I don't think @jono400 has those tools (bracelet pliers, extra spring bar, dremel drill with microbit, etc), so it wouldn't be any easy fix without them. 

J

Hi again guys sorry not been around to acknowledge all your kind replies but again a big thank you anyway. do have one off those cheap Chinese watch strap repair kits so got the basic tools. 

noirrac1j - Thank also for your kind advice, sorry not sure if I am following you correctly ?! the broken pin is still within both ends off the strap ie. there is a small length left in each side plus the bit in the centre on the other side off the strap, appreciate I could knock or dremel the centre pin out but not sure how I would go about getting the two other broken bits out as obviously there is no where for them to go by using the punch on these ? would a Dremel with micropunch Break up the two bits off pin remaking enough to replace with the new spring pin ? as I say they have broken flush so no pliers or whatever would be able to pull them out . sorry as a newcomer possibly missing something obvious to which I appoligies ??!!

Hello Jono,

I think this isn't such an easy repair, but you can try to drill through the link with the two broken plugs with a small drill bit...the problem will be that the material is stainless steel and the drill bit may get hot and break before the hole is drilled. After that, use a slightly larger drill bit to drill through the other link and get a small spring bar with the ends that are same size as the holes....after that you have to try to squeeze the spring bar ends in place.

J

P.S.

http://watchfix.info/Bracelet Repairs/Drilling Pins Out.php

59556de9d8790_watchbraceletrepair.jpg.85f046a6c280d30bdd8305a9e3c746ba.jpg

Edited by noirrac1j
  • Like 1

My apologies. I regard myself as an inexperienced beginner, especially when I read of the heroic deeds of others posting on here. But I must have learned a few things and gained a few tools along the way.

From your last explanation, Jono, it's not such an easy repair. The pieces of the pin still lodged in the out part of the link were probably pressed in an the ends polished flat. You may be able to punch these out. But it's getting to be a lot of work for a bracelet not worth much. On the other hand it's good practice!

Good luck whatever you decide.

Cheers Neil

• Like 1

Hi guys will with your help keep at this just a bit longer before replacing the strap ! okay have now cut thru the last link and removed what was left which as you will see from the picture leaves two protruding pins one each side, tried carefully pulling on the pins with plyers but neither side was  for moving so instead off keeping at it and no doubt snapping one off the pins and being back to square one again !! I thought Iwould stop and see if there was any suggestions on here on what could possibly be used to remove the remainder off each pin ? would some sort off oil loosen the pins to make extraction easier ?

cheers,

john

image.jpg

Okay thanks appreciatte your reply, unfortunately we are talking about one off the fixed / secured links not one off the push in / push out type that are on the majority off the strap ( there is no hole at the side off the strap like the other links to simply push out the pin   ) as I say in an ideal world would simply pull out the remaining pin on each side with plyers unfortunately it does not want to easily come out and again dont want to risk snapping one off the pins taking me back to square one again !!

just wondered if anyone had sucusfully managed to remove a fixed link pin broken like my picture above ?

Okay thanks appreciatte your reply, unfortunately we are talking about one off the fixed / secured links not one off the push in / push out type that are on the majority off the strap ( there is no hole at the side off the strap like the other links to simply push out the pin )

The hole is there, but covered with a polished cap. Removing it and/or the pin stumps may be indeed quite difficult, e.g. fabricating special tools, drilling, etc. If you like the watch much I suggest you consider wearing it with a strap.

Edited by jdm

Here's a tip that sometimes works.

Put the watch somewhere cool for an hour or so- not the fridge just noticeably less than room temperature.

Then breathe gently on the area where the end of the pin must be. Because the pin and the bracelet are different pieces of metal the condensation pattern will be different (if it works!)

Mark the centre of the pin with a centre punch or a hardened nail. Then you have a chance of driving or drilling out the pin.

If that fails at least you now know how to tell where pieces of metal are joined. Amaze your friends and treat yourself to a new watch.

[emoji41][emoji851][emoji41]

Sorry guys been away for a while and away from computer. again appreciate the continuing replies. unfortunately still no joy with removing the pins. guess it's a new strap, pity as honestly thought I would have got it in the end ??!!