Jeez, thats 3 mainspring winders ive missed out on now and each one ive increased my top bid substantially and still lost each one by a £1, ive checked all sold items to get aN idea of how much they've gone for in the past and bid atleast £10 more to secure the item, but each time im outbid by a poxy £1.

I know there is no answer apart from bidding stupidly high, im just having a rant as im peeved about losing number 3 in quick succession, cheers for your ears guys.

Mainspring winders are a risky purchase on ebay (I am talking from experience!) 

Ideally you would want to check that the tooth on the winding arbour is in good condition. If worn, the winder is useless. can't really be checked on photos, and most sellers will not be able to answer the question unless they really know what they are selling.

good luck in your search anyway, they certainly make life much easier!

Jeez, thats 3 mainspring winders ive missed out on now and each one ive increased my top bid substantially and still lost each one by a £1, ive checked all sold items to get aN idea of how much they've gone for in the past and bid atleast £10 more to secure the item, but each time im outbid by a poxy £1.

I know there is no answer apart from bidding stupidly high, im just having a rant as im peeved about losing number 3 in quick succession, cheers for your ears guys.

A lot of eBayers now use  "Sniper" software. The way they work is you put in your max bid and the sniper bids for you with just a few seconds to go. The downside is, so many are doing this that you don,t know if you have won until the very last second and for sellers true bidding is longer happening so prices are being driven down. I no longer use a sniper I just put in the max I am willing to pay. However here are snipers reviewed:

http://andrewminalto.com/best-ebay-snipers/

£30?... wow. I just bought a really nice set of 18 winders, lovely condition. For £300 on eBay. 

There really are no alternatives -I'm never going to spend whatever Cousins/HSWalsh want for a new set.. probably nearly £1k...

I am no stranger to disappointment losing auctions- Top tip is to be braver and put in a BIG bid with 10 seconds to go on a set you know looks right. the actual amount you pay will of course be just £1 more than the other guys bid..

• Like 1

I have just had a look on eBay and there ridicules prices or cheap and poorly maintained. How much is a new one these days. I think I paid something like £30 back in the 70's.

That was a weeks wages for me back then!  They were and are expensive items.

eBay can be a great source but the bidding can get ridiculous where if not carful the price is higher than buying new. 

If I really want a tool item I first look at these three suppliers. If worried about wear then if possible I purchase new.

https://pennyfarthingtools.co.uk

http://www.daveswatchparts.com

http://www.execulink.com/~lfoord/tools.html

• Like 1

All I can say is keep looking and don't restrict your searches just to ebay UK, also look on ebay IS, ebay Australia and ebay Germany is you can find the German translation for the tool you want, just be aware not all ebay sellers in Germany accept paypal and watch out for crazy shipping prices from the USA via the global shipping program.

As long as you have patience you will eventually find them for a price you are happy with.

I look almost every day on ebay AU, USA and UK and have manged to get some great bargains by been lucky enough to be the first person to see a tool listed with a great BIN. I picked up a boxed near new set of 6 Bergeon clone main spring winders out of Queensland a few months back for $150 (£90). I usually own win 1 in 8 to 10 items that I bid on, but then I never overpay on the items.

Yeah its a constant battle with the snipers, I use to use one but it failed a few times so now lime clockboy I put my max bid in early and just leave it, I continue to watch for used/vintage/antique etc etc watch tools just to see what comes up, I have one of the early winders the type you put in a vice (bit like the clock ones) its a nice small one made for watches but it only came with one arbor, I got my old man to get a few more turned out on his lathe, the smallest is the same size as a seiko arbor from a 7002 movement, the largest is the same as a 16s waltham arbor,  I then drilled holes in each one and epoxied a small bit of a dress pin in each hole for the main spring to hold onto.

I now need to make up some sleeves so that I will be be to wind auto mainsprings, I can at the moment wind normal springs but it's a bit fiddly trying to fit the barrel over the wound spring whilst pushing the top lever that holds the spring in place. If I can make up a selection of sleeves then discs to match that will allow me to push the springs back into the barrels im home and dry, but wouldn't mind still finding a set of purpose built arbors and sleeves etc.

Mind you if I'm successful in making these sleeves I might be content with what I've got.

The only thing to remember if living in the UK and bidding on items from non EU countries is:-
1. Any item over £15 you will be required to pay V.A.T. excluding postage.
2. Any item over £130 something pounds will will be required to pay import duties on and postage is calculated into the duty paid.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1