Waltham Pocket Watch

For some reason - I don't know why - my Waltham won't wind. I'm thinking the mainspring is unattached from the barrel wall or the arbour somehow because I can get it to work for a while but then it stops. I don't think it's broken.

I'd take it apart but that's not so easy either.

And, here, I thought I knew everything there was to know about watches...

It's a Waltham Hunter Gold filled watch. I've taken out the case screws but it won't drop out and I don't think it's a drop-down style watch.

Someone has obviously tried to pry it open in the past because there is evidence of that.

Just turn the two case screws so  they are both away from the case, pull stem to set the hands, make sure the bezel is off and the front is open and push lightly away from the stem and the movement should ease out, you could take out the balance if you think you might damage it.

There is a small indentation and opening where the barrel wheel is and also a small hole in the plate that appears to have some sort of push lever in it. Perhaps this is where the click can be released.

I think you could be right.

I also found this.

Some will have a little hole in the side of the movement that you poke and that will let the spring down.

I think you could be right.

I also found this.

Some will have a little hole in the side of the movement that you poke and that will let the spring down.

OK, then that is probably the method to let down the spring on this watch.

The opening just goes through to the barrel and there is nothing in there to push.

I wondering if I have to take the barrel plate off to get to the click. Nothing should explode since all the other wheels in the train are under a separate plate.