Barrel/main Spring Lubrication Survey...

Hi All,

I've been reading a lot on barrel and main spring lubrication and find two distinct "factions", those that lube the mainspring outside of the barrel and those that lube the main spring inside the barrel.

I would tend to think that lubing the mainspring outside of the barrel is far more thorough and complete but wanted to know others thoughts on this if at all possible?

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this!

Edited by RosscoInOshawa

Hi Rossco, I would remove the spring from the barrel to give it a good clean the put some lube between my thumb and forefinger and pull the spring through to give a thin even coating before re-installing it in the barrel. This way you know it is both clean and lubed. Wear finger cots when you are doing this!

Hi Rossco, I would remove the spring from the barrel to give it a good clean the put some lube between my thumb and forefinger and pull the spring through to give a thin even coating before re-installing it in the barrel. This way you know it is both clean and lubed. Wear finger cots when you are doing this!

And, as Mark demonstrates in one of his videos, you can also check for any damage or wear to the spring at the same time...

Excellent advice, thanks Geo.

I understand that new main springs are supposedly teflon coated (?) and lubing it may be redundant but the older springs it certainly makes sense.

I do too, but I use lint free paper folded thin and make a small angled fold at an end so I can put Moebius 8200 in the crevasse formed by this end fold. Then I rub the whole spring this way by grabbing the "fold" so to speak. The spring is sandwiched in the paper and slid in it. Ahhh, I can't explain well but the idea is to use the grease on the paper and rub the spring in it.

Then, I put some Moebius 8217 inside the walls of the barrel...

I'd love to hear from other people about this system since maybe, just maybe I'm overdoing it. I have to add, I've never had a problem with a mainspring (in my very limited experience). 

Edited by bobm12

And, as Mark demonstrates in one of his videos, you can also check for any damage or wear to the spring at the same time...

Thanks Will, more excellent advice.  I think I saw that video on Mark's YouTube channel.  I've watched quite of few of them now!

I would imagine you could feel a potential break or damage from any anomalies in the spring surface?

Edited by RosscoInOshawa

I do too, but I use lint free paper folded thin and make a small angled fold at an end so I can put Moebius 8200 in the crevasse formed by this end fold. Then I rub the whole spring this way by grabbing the "fold" so to speak. The spring is sandwiched in the paper and slid in it. Ahhh, I can't explain well but the idea is to use the grease on the paper and rub the spring in it.

Then, I put some Moebius 8217 inside the walls of the barrel...

I'd love to hear from other people about this system since maybe, just maybe I'm overdoing it. I have to add, I've never had a problem with a mainspring (in my very limited experience). 

Hmm, like an 'ink blot' in the fold of the paper and then transferring it to the spring? Thanks Robert.

You are welcome Rossco. I believe it is just as you put it. It also helps "clean" the already clean spring! Overkill?

Overkill?? Never!  Back in the day I would use a bit of clean business card to clean the ignition contacts and relay contacts to a polished finish, just because. 

• Like 1

I oil the mainspring in barrel, cause I'm too chicken to pull the spring out with my limited experience ... and courage :p

I don't have a set of mainspring winders to rewind the spring and put it back into the barrel.  Do all of you guys have a set of winders or do you re-install the spring by hand?

Do all of you guys have a set of winders or do you re-install the spring by hand?

I've recently purchased a set of winders but haven't had a chance to use them yet. Up to now any springs that I have done have been wound by hand. It's not that difficult, but be careful when removing it from the barrel.

• Like 1

I also do it by hand. I found it to be cheaper and more...exciting! The joy of watching it jumping all over the place is contagious, makes you want to do the same :)

No seriously, I like to do it by hand. Somehow I can feel the spring tension and have an idea of how good the spring still is. Maybe this is suggestive but it works for me. I use surgical gloves for all watch handling, including this task.

• Like 1