ETA 579.005

Good evening everyone.

I am currently working on a Longines Rodolfe ladies watch and am after a replacement mechanism as the original is water damaged. I have searched high and low and my usual source for parts (Cousins) shows this is obsolete as does a number of other websites. I would like to get a ETA movement 579.005 for it as this was the original and then I can refit the original Longines stamped item onto it to get it to look as original instead of getting a replacement. I have searched and searched to no avail to find a replacement ETA part that superceeded this movement etc or an actual movement.

Does anyone know if these are still made and if so where I can get hold of one or if a replacement code was used for this movement etc?

Many thanks

Andy

Thanks for all the help and the links. I had tried all the suppliers listed on this forum and was hoping to get one from the UK if possible as I saw the ones listed on American sites. Will keep searching. Thanks for the heads up regarding a 3 hand movement. Guess I could just use the movement and not fit a second hand.

Have a few 579.005 but not sure if they work. They look clean . So you could probably just take the circiut board from your movement and it will run. One of them even have the white crown so i think it's NOS. But could have been in a drawer for some years. There is even new battery hatches in the box. 

Send me a PM and we can work something out? 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies and help everyone. I have ordered a new movement from the states so hopefully this will arrive soon. Appologies for the delay in replying to everyone who has posted. I will let you know how I get on.

Andy

Good evening

I received my new replacement movement from the states and proceeded to swap it out for the old one. I can hear you all screaming "did you test it first?" but no I didn't. I fully rebuilt the watch as I have never had a movement fail on me that was new ...until today. Dam it...........

I have put in two different batteries  in the hope it was a duff one albeit they were both new and the movement turns freely when you pull the crown out to the hand adjustment setting and turn it. There is no binding. The issue is that with the battery in and the crown pushed in to it's normal position it doesn't work. I thought that maybe the crown might not be going in far enough when it was cased up so tried it with the movement  uncased but no joy. 

Has anyone had any issues getting a new quartz movement going or is there a way to test it out with a multimeter etc. I am at a loss.

Many thanks

Andy

I had a problem with the battery shape once.  It seemed that the -ve part was shorting to the +ve at the edge of the battery in the battery bay where the -ve tab leaves the bay.  I put an extra bit of insulation on the tab at that point and all worked fine afterwards.  I have noticed that whilst there are 'equivalent/replacement' batteries, in some dimensions they can differ.

ETA tend to specify Renata batteries (since they are both part of the swatch group!!!!!).

• Like 1

Hi canthus

I just checked the insulator and that the battery when installed did not have the +ve touching the -ve part of the watch movement. I swapped the insulator from the old movement to try but no luck. I am using Renata batteries in the new movement. Good suggestion though.

Andy

When you do a quartz movement swap there are a couple of things that can be perplexing.

The stem needs to be fully inserted for the battery circuit to be completed. The old stem may seem to fit but maybe it doesn't. As you suggested, testing out of the case may see the movement run OK.

The other thing that has caught me out is the pinion height. This is the axel that carries the hands. The same movement can come with different heights and too high a pinion can press on the watch crystal. This can cause slow running or even a complete stop.

Testing with a multimeter is limited to seeing battery voltage across the coil.

Cheers Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk