I got the watch in this picture in a buyout in which I got dozens of watches.  I decided to take a look at it because of it's unusual name, "Robot".  I am not familiar with this make but it has an A. Schild 1382 N movement.  Now this movement is very interesting and because of it, its surprising to find it in this watch.  It has a power reserve indicating device which is not used in this watch.  It is possible it is not the original movement, though.  But I think it was.  Would welcome any information.  

The automatic works were shot so I went out on Ebay and for a few bucks found an A. Schild movement with the same automatic works and replaced the parts in my watch.  I was a little more tricky than that because I had to re-staff a wheel and replace a brass bushing with a jewel (the parts movement was 21j).  Also had to repair the set works which were corroded in the Robot watch.  Watch works now and keeps good time so I'm happy.  It's now an 18j watch whereas before it was 17j.  So, an incidental question I have is whether this is now a "frankenwatch"?  I wouldn't sell it because it's not worth selling as I could never get back the labor I put into it.  But for future reference, do modifications like replacing brass or plate bushings with jewels make a watch so different from the original as to classify it as a frankenwatch?

20170606_100802.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This beauty should have detached manual wind, sound rotor. Rare collectible gorgeous piece. Lucky you should post , its a keeper. 

If dial feet are in tact and fit right on the movement, good chances are it is genuine too. 

So, an incidental question I have is whether this is now a "frankenwatch"?

Nope, it certainly isn't franken, in my opinion, it is a watch that has been skillfully repaired. Re-bushing or adding a jewel to a watch or clock doesn't "en-franken" it.

To be a true frankenized piece, in my opinion,  there must have been some modification that is either intended to deceive, or has been done in a misguided attempt to "enhance" the watch, but has instead lowered its value.

So building a watch from a bunch of scrap parts, and slapping a garish "Fortis" fake dial and some over-lumed modern hands on it... then claiming it is a rare 1960s model, that has all the hallmarks of en-frankenism.

Replacing the balance or the mainspring in an EB 8800 pin lever with a better one from its scrapped, jeweled cousin, that is a repair.  

If I then slap that EB8800 in to a dead genuine Fortis and claim it is all original... Franken.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Now this... is Franken. A "Lanco" on ebay.. of dubious parentage. Surely if you are going to laser etch such nonsense on the case back, you could at least get the image correct before you hit the blaster button. s-l1600.thumb.jpg.509319eb128ffe967fdff12c6655f5e3.jpg

Or maybe I've got it all wrong, and you are meant to admire it in the mirror.

D minus for effort. Must try harder.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

Now this... is Franken. A "Lanco" on ebay.. of dubious parentage. Surely if you are going to laser etch such nonsense on the case back, you could at least get the image correct before you hit the blaster button. s-l1600.thumb.jpg.509319eb128ffe967fdff12c6655f5e3.jpg

Or maybe I've got it all wrong, and you are meant to admire it in the mirror.

D minus for effort. Must try harder.

But that's an ultra rare model, it has a stainless SEEL back. :D