Girocap spring

I have a Universal Geneve 215 movement in a Polerouter watch. The escape wheel has shock protected cap jewels known as Girocap (occasionally misspelt Gyrocap), made by Porte Echappement SA.

One of the shock springs is broken in half and whilst I have the watch running and the jewel seems to stay in place I can see this being a risk. I have tried in vain to work out where to buy these but don't see them listed anywhere. I have seen various movements and parts on ebay with them, but rarely see UG 215 parts and if so they are usually the wrong side of the pond and expensive.

Does anyone know if these were all one size or if they are as varied as incablocs? If all one size I could buy a cheap scrap movement.

Thanks

S

Seen that on other UG movements also. Can't find a good picture right now but i now how it looks. 

Seen this btwhttp://www.polerouter.de/frameset-movements.htm

Yes, I've spent quite a bit of time looking at that, and som while back I asked the site owner if he could send me a better copy of the oiling chart, but never got a reply.

The Girocap was used on the Omega 540 balance and there's a description in here

http://watchguy.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Omega-540.pdf

There's a good picture her and also a useful reference for identifying shock spring types

https://watch-wiki.org/index.php?title=Kategorie:Picture_gallery_archive_shock_absorber

I also found this on eBay, so definitely not a one off

IMG_0050.JPG.01cd06a3bb3347b7e1ead70107fac1e3.JPG

• Like 1

Seen them in other movements. Did a little search and found them in Certina and Tissot movement. Also in some AS and an MST 469 . Maybe they could be found on cousinsuk under the movement? Omega had a complete one but at £60 it wasn't cheap? 

• 6 months later...

Well Rogart, I came back to this after a few other distractions and your inspiration led me to track down a Roamer mst 466 which was only £6 incuding postage. I couldn’t find out if there were multiple sizes of Girocap, but I figured I had little to lose here so went ahead and bought it.

Sadly, whilst I have answered a question, it’s not the answer I wanted. So I now know that Girocaps came in more than one size and the springs aren’t interchangeable.

Roamer 466 will doubtless be back on the bay soon! Will have to look for a movement of a similar size to the Universal 215 with a Girocap and then find a cheap one of those to buy. Have not found Girocap parts anywhere else :wacko:

• 9 months later...

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I voted leave too, my reasoning was the the EU is undemocratic, no elected officials. I don't regret it but I  am sad that both sides acted like petulant toddlers.  Shameful.  I'm not on other forums but if I was and left this site, would you shun me? Of course not, we aren't petulant toddlers.  
    • This is a type of tool that may be suitable to remove the bezel - though note that I'm pretty sure the watch should be face down - not face up, as in some of the photos of these tools on amazon & ebay! If you try one one of those, put the movement screws back in first to avoid accidents. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Removal-Professional-Remover-Watchmaker-Diameter/dp/B09XCH4QVN?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=A296NCMMFVXSDN&th=1  
    • Hi, I’m constantly asking my wife to help me with removing the stem in order to complete casing. To expand, this is not a challenge for me when the setting lever is secured by a screw (older calibers). However when the setting lever is attached to a spring loaded setting lever axel, like on more modern calibers, I simply don’t see how to apply enough pressure on the button to get the stem out short of putting the movement face down with the dial and hands attached, which I’m loath to do in order to avoid damaging the dial/hands? what technique should I be using? thanks  
    • Many thanks for your advice (being borne in mind at present) & offer Dell. When I was given the clock the plastic anchor was loose on the arbour (it had split at the 'hole') &, after repairing this, I have been trying to determine whether the spindle (pin) should be perpendicular when the pallet is sitting on a flat surface; or whether, when installed, its L-R extremes (or alternatively its tick & tock points) should lie at equal angles from the vertical when moved with spring absent. I can get the clock to run but in every such configuration the top block has to be turned anti-clockwise (from above) by quite a bit in order to be 'in beat' & it always runs fast (despite the pendulum being set to as slow as possible). This makes me wonder if there is any particular feature of/fault in a torsion spring clock which determines which turn direction (if any) is necessary to get it 'in beat'; & whether there would be a different set of settings that would get it running nearer to time at somewhere around the mid timing/inertia position which would then allow tweaking of the fast/slow setting.
    • Now this has happened I bet China or India just to name two will start to produce none genuine parts.  I did. But idiot Boris Johnson failed miserably in his negotiations. The E U stitched up the UK like a kipper. Nigel Farage  offered his help but big head Boris declined. So this is why we are in this mess all because Johnson wasn't clever enough.