Clock Repair Courses On Line

Folkvisor

I'm going to buy an Ollie Baker style winder. The simple winder Bergeon I have isn't worth the grief.

Apparently, it's a good winder if you know what you you're doing - which I do not - yet.

At least I know the clock will work once I get the thing together again replete with springs.

I use a Ollie and they are very good & solid. The only thing you will have to get used to is the barrel has to be held by hand using a strong thick glove (see pic) Also for safety clamp it solid to a workbench with a G clamp and always wear safety glasses.

59419271df8d1_ScreenShot2017-06-14at20_43_36.png.7dfbc9d2a45c33f63ebe77d3e382d935.png

• 3 weeks later...

I succeeded in putting the spring on the barrel wheel only to find I'd put it on backwards. It was an easy fix. 

The Ollie Baker is easy to use as long as you know what you're doing. ;-)

Question: Are the springs then wound in 2 different directions? (One seems wound clockwise, the other counter clockwise.)

If nothing else it's an interesting hobby.

I have come across striking clocks where one side winds in the opposite direction to the other. 

Just to confuse you even more( ha ha ha) I have come across chiming movements with only two key holes instead of three, the strike and chime wind on the same arbour through a set of winding gears. You will come across all sorts in clocks. :D