And Now For Something Completely Different!

I don't know if this will strike anyone but me as funny but here goes.  I always had my bike ready to go even during the winter months and a friend of mine used to store his bike at an indoor storage facility close by me.  I recall one cold spring'ish day taking him over to remove the battery from his bike as he had neglected to do this - or keep it charged - through out the winter.  We expected it to be trashed, and it was, so we were going to dispose of it in the dumpster (bad!) as we left the storage facility.

Being the exuberant, youthful imbecile I was, I had my buddy on the back of my bike and he had one hand on the grab bar and held the expired bike battery in the other hand and not thinking things through, as I spun us around, I gave the throttle just a small twist heading for the garbage bin and suddenly felt someone kicking both of my elbows, then a foot in my armpit.

I slowed and stopped as soon as I could and when I looked around, with my buddies foot still under my arm, he was still hanging onto not only the battery but the grab rail as well.

I probably shouldn't have laughed as hard as i did but then again he was laughing just as hard as he told me that all he could see after he fell backwards was Dunlop -Dunlop- Dunlop whizzing by until I could get stopped.

I miss my bike, and my buddy.

I had a similar experience with my daughter. I usually ride my sport bikes solo, but this day Elaine was on the back of my 955 Daytona and I pulled away from a junction with a wee bit too much throttle and pair of legs appeared level with my chest. Realising what was happening, and before she shot off the back I hit the brakes, next thing she head-buts me in the back of the head. It was slow and steady after that!

• Like 1

Been there, done that, only I was the guy on the back.

This was when Yamaha introduced the RD250LC, my mate had one of the first in the country and it was a most amusing machine.

He and another mate (who had a Honda CX500) used to race each other everywhere. On one occasion I was on the back of the LC (I didn't have my bike licence then) and we had managed to get about half a mile ahead of the CX by the time we got back to my parents house and were slowing to a stop so that I could get off and open the gate. As we were just rolling to stop I had  let go of the grab rail and was preparing to dismount when Dave on the CX caught us up, but rather than stop he decided to do a low pass at full chat. Colin was having none of that so responded by hitting the power band and dumping the clutch in 2nd (we were still rolling). The front wheel came up and I just rolled backwards until my feet were under his armpits. Realization dawned and Colin slammed on the breaks bringing the front back down to Earth with a crunch and causing me to roll forwards again with the front of my helmet colliding with the back of his with an almighty whack.

In the true spirit of teenage "lads" the world over the episode ended with all three of us in hysterical laughter and a new game developed which involved the rider of whichever bike I was on the back of doing his level best to try and unseat me at every opportunity. In learnt to pillion like a limpit.

• Like 1

I once briefly sort of owned a Vincent Comet 500cc motorbike I had bought for £15,  due to a financial crisis the previous owner re-claimed his bike before I ever got to ride it.  Had my finances been sounder and I actually did get to ride it then I probably would not be writing this now!

• Like 1

I was once on the back of friend's Douglas Dragonfly (opposed twin cylinders), coming away from a November 5th party. The engine wasn't going too well, spluttering and coughing when, with a huge bang, two potatoes shot out of the twin exhausts! Some clown had stuffed them up there as a joke...

On another occasion, on the back of his WW2 Royal Enfield despatch rider's bike, a taxi turned in the road just in front of us. Luckily, we managed to demolish the taxi's running board and slid to one side unhurt - except for an exhaust burn on my ankle where my skin had touched the hot pipe. That stung for a bit, I can tell you.

• Like 1

(1) two potatoes shot out of the twin exhausts! Some clown had stuffed them up there as a joke...[/size]

(2) we managed to demolish the taxi's running board [/size]

(1) The ultimate spud gun!

(2) Definitely giving your age away!

I love the various experiences everyone is sharing and I'm envious of the list of MC's everyone has owned and riden at some point.  All of them would qualify as "highly desirable" now!  Here are some pictures from the vault.  I actually had the newer bike first then the older bike which I sold when I got married. 

post-267-0-96461500-1406992630_thumb.jpgpost-267-0-63362000-1406992654_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

LOL, Thanks Geo, I had to look up what chicken strips were, I wasn't familiar with the term. 

I was a "peg scraper" back in the day and lost my license one season for accumulating too many speeding tickets.

I have to laugh when I see some of the modern rockets with the back tire worn to the cords in the middle and like new at the edge.  They're missing half the fun!  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...