Greetings from London!

f91man

Hello everyone. Signed up on this forum to get some information on watch repairing. Currently have zero experience in repairing watches as well as a single watch in my collection (a F-91W), but I do think I have a developing hobby of watches and Horology in general. I am looking to repair watches for profit as I believe the profit margins should be quite good if you get the watches for a cheaper price, and im only 16 years old meaning it could potentially be a good source of some income if I can successfully repair them. I would also like to get something nice for my fathers 50th birthday (couple years from now), which i've put hours of my time in. That would be nice, eh?

Anyways, advice and tips would be hugely appreciated. Have a glorious day reader!

Cheers.

• Like 1

Welcome, You have a very long learning curve ahead of you with horology. Horology can be very rewarding and sometimes frustrating which makes it such a compulsive hobby/profession.  There are many here on this friendly forum willing to share their knowledge & advise. Enjoy

• Like 1

Welcome, You have a very long learning curve ahead of you with horology. Horology can be very rewarding and sometimes frustrating which makes it such a compulsive hobby/profession.  There are many here on this friendly forum willing to share their knowledge & advise. Enjoy

Thank you very much!

Hello and welcome to this friendly forum. You are at the other end of the scale from me. I have been retired for many years. If you intend to undertake horology as a living, you need to undertake an apprenticeship. I served 5 years then another 2 years as an improver.  You could try a collage, jeweller’s shops where they undertake watch repairs on their premises or the B H I who run courses and might be able to help you in finding something near to where you live; being in London you should have more opportunities then someone living in the sticks.

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to this friendly forum. You are at the other end of the scale from me. I have been retired for many years. If you intend to undertake horology as a living, you need to undertake an apprenticeship. I served 5 years then another 2 years as an improver.  You could try a collage, jeweller’s shops where they undertake watch repairs on their premises or the B H I who run courses and might be able to help you in finding something near to where you live; being in London you should have more opportunities then someone living in the sticks.

Thank you! I don't think I intend to pursue a career in Horology (would like to pursue a career in cyber security), but rather see if its possible to make money from repairing watches which could be a good source of some income from me if im successful :)

Cheers!

Greetings!

It's possible to make a few coins fixing up watches, but be careful! You'll often find that if you have to replace parts, the cost of the parts will be more than the watch is worth, and sometimes the parts aren't available at all.

Good luck, and more importantly, have fun!

Hello and welcome from me,

Like OH and many others I am at the other end of the spectrum as regards age.  I am someone that tinkers with watch repair for a hobby and the folks on this forum have helped me along the way.  I am sure that you would get similar help.

Cheers,

Vic