JMElam

National Electric Watch Cleaner

I hope you're all well! 

I have just picked up a National Electric Watch Cleaning Machine, all works fine apart from the heating element. I have a new one to put in. I will also be stripping cleaning and re painting the machine. 

My question is does anybody know where I can get some more baskets that will fit this machine? It only came with one small basket. 

My question is does anybody know where I can get some more baskets that will fit this machine? It only came with one small basket. 

Please put a picture up of basket and holder you have ... it's a little hard to imagine how the one you are looking for should look like!!

You have a number of options open to you, try and find a National electric complete basket off the bay but I think you would have more luck finding a bag of rocking horse poo than that. The national uses a three prong bayonet fitting that is 80mm across, the basket fits to a shaft with bayonet fitting  that is connected directly to the motor.InkedIMG_2500_LI.thumb.jpg.b0879c8b97b3e820dab72ca12b32cc5c.jpg

The photo above shows a National basket compared to probably the most common type of basket which is a Elma basket these are approx 70mm across, the dividers from the elma will fit snugley into the national basket so divisions can be created in the basket using these, I can with my national basket create 3 useful layers using elma dividers.

The Elma bayonet fitting is not wide enough at 70mm to fit directly to a national machine, but you can remove the shaft and fitting from the national by loosening the grub screw that hold the shaft to the motor and replace it with a Elma shaft and fitting again held in place with a grub screw, this would allow you to use elma baskets and dividers on the National machine,

you can also buy useful little baskets that will fit in your National such as these,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16mm-Brass-basket-parts-holder-ultrasonic-cleaning-mesh-screw-type-watch-tool-/301581103372?hash=item4637a2710c:g:hpcAAOSwhQhYxwhS

Complete baskets and dividers can be bought for elma type machines new such as this,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watch-cleaning-machine-janta-pearl-brand-spare-parts-bottles-and-baskets-/291879006669?var=&hash=item43f55831cd:m:mp1w4YBMDAelzeQs1e3Twkg

I am of course providing this information assuming that your National machine has the original basket and shaft fitted, so a photo would be useful of your machine to confirm,

you will have to at any rate to keep your eyes peeled on the bay but with a little adaption your options are open in order to have a useful machine.

Edited by wls1971

Please note that Pearl Janta baskets and racks is that a substantial poorer quality than the original Elma. I have just sold a similar set for the same reason as I did not find it useful.

I bought instead of a complete Elmaset set of Cousins

A little hint! If you buy "basket complete" then you will have to pay 199,50 + vat. If you buy mount and Holder with baskets for themselves will be  cheaper.  Lid/holder R37669 27,95 GBP Baskets and holder C0386 109,95 GBP Total 137,90 + vat 

Thank you all for your input! I am unable to upload an image for some reason? I keep getting a triangle with an exclamation mark a few seconds after clicking upload.

Until It allows me to upload, if I understand correctly. I should be able to purchase this https://www.hswalsh.com/product/elma-64mm-basket-complete-rm90-superelite-solvex-se-solvex-rm-hc516

and just fix it to the shaft via the grub screw?

You have a number of options open to you, try and find a National electric complete basket off the bay but I think you would have more luck finding a bag of rocking horse poo than that. The national uses a three prong bayonet fitting that is 80mm across, the basket fits to a shaft with bayonet fitting  that is connected directly to the motor.InkedIMG_2500_LI.thumb.jpg.b0879c8b97b3e820dab72ca12b32cc5c.jpg

The photo above shows a National basket compared to probably the most common type of basket which is a Elma basket these are approx 70mm across, the dividers from the elma will fit snugley into the national basket so divisions can be created in the basket using these, I can with my national basket create 3 useful layers using elma dividers.

The Elma bayonet fitting is not wide enough at 70mm to fit directly to a national machine, but you can remove the shaft and fitting from the national by loosening the grub screw that hold the shaft to the motor and replace it with a Elma shaft and fitting again held in place with a grub screw, this would allow you to use elma baskets and dividers on the National machine,

you can also buy useful little baskets that will fit in your National such as these,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16mm-Brass-basket-parts-holder-ultrasonic-cleaning-mesh-screw-type-watch-tool-/301581103372?hash=item4637a2710c:g:hpcAAOSwhQhYxwhS

Complete baskets and dividers can be bought for elma type machines new such as this,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watch-cleaning-machine-janta-pearl-brand-spare-parts-bottles-and-baskets-/291879006669?var=&hash=item43f55831cd:m:mp1w4YBMDAelzeQs1e3Twkg

I am of course providing this information assuming that your National machine has the original basket and shaft fitted, so a photo would be useful of your machine to confirm,

you will have to at any rate to keep your eyes peeled on the bay but with a little adaption your options are open in order to have a useful machine.

Below is a picture of the shaft that fits directley over the spindle from the motor at one end is a grub screw that attaches it to the spindle of the motor the other end is where the bayonet fitting and basket are fitted again on the Elma held with a grub screw

InkedIMG_2503_LI.thumb.jpg.e0d6027dc20723ec803038bf137f1170.jpg

.On the national machine the shaft and bayonet fitting are all one unit and attach to the motor spindle via a grub screw.

It would be useful to know the model number of the machine you have if you cant supply pics

Below is the same shaft with basket fitted these do turn up on ebay its where I got mine the advantage of switching to elma type is that the National are long defunct and Elma are still plentiful,

InkedIMG_2501_LI.thumb.jpg.bf3af61b288fdcaa586661e00b2d35b2.jpg

But national machines do turn up quite cheap if you can find one with basket that may be another option.

Below is a two part national basket which is pretty much what they came with InkedIMG_2512_LI.thumb.jpg.87006c12aad6bdb36651a1b2e8cfb228.jpg

The elma basket dividers can be fitted into these InkedIMG_2513_LI.thumb.jpg.ba51d7741b230d1738f42d37eab6028e.jpg

And small mini baskets can be placed in anyInkedIMG_2514_LI.thumb.jpg.5d3829f6794d4bde6ea6ed32eaaefc7b.jpg

So with a bit of adaption or the use of elma basket parts you should be able to cobble together a useful set without spending a fortune.

For some reason it will only let me upload with the image orientated in this direction? weird right? As you can see it appears like the Nationals shaft for the basket contains 2 screws? Does this mean I could attach my previous linked item?

IMG_0382.thumb.JPG.9c0c6f94a6d1e1862e17e8570f77e8b8.JPGIMG_0384.thumb.JPG.399e626b0650d474ed4bba09e6ae0f42.JPGIMG_0383.thumb.JPG.e53f0f9774d65b4d3f1be56fe86e147f.JPG

Hi this is a much older machine than mine which is a mark six please provide the following measurment,

IMG_0384.JPG.ce5cd713765d6c591390a8db0e90347b_LI.thumb.jpg.2d28065d62fb767fe5bd6ba63930b4c1.jpg

if you can undo the bottom grub screw and try and remove the bayonet attachment you will have to remove the three pronged spring which is held to the middle of the shaft via a long screw,

If the bayonet attachment comes off you need to measure the diameter of the very bottom of the shaft that fits into the bayonet attachment and let me know the measurement I will then check the elma shaft and see if they are the same if so yes you would be able to fit the elma baskets without having to change shafts.

On 5/24/2017 at 4:09 PM, JMElam said:

I hope you're all well! 

I have just picked up a National Electric Watch Cleaning Machine, all works fine apart from the heating element. I have a new one to put in. I will also be stripping cleaning and re painting the machine. 

As a matter of interest, may I ask which replacement heater did you use? Would a spare from an almanac work?

( I realize this is an old post, but hopefully an answer is possible.)