Does Anyone (Everyone?) Make Some Of Their Own Tools?

Hi All,

Just a general question, and hopefully not too obvious, but how many of us here make our own tools like oilers or specialty screwdrivers or "pointy sticks"?

I'm anxiously awaiting delivery today of my Bergeon screwdriver set and my #5 Dumont tweezers and I've been (voraciously) reading my copy of Practical Watch Repair where he touches on making oilers out of sewing needles.

I dabble in woodworking and I love restoring an old brace and bit or hand planes and have made some specialty planes just for fun.  Would love to know what can be done in watchmaking if anyone is willing to share?

Thanks,

Rossco

Hi Rossco,

There are a number of tools Bergeon is making a killing with that are usually made by a watchmaker in training. An example will be the balance tack, a very sharp pointed stick on a base used to work on balance wheels. I believe the challenge is in the size and finish required with the materials used (apart from the precise measurements and tolerances often in the range of 0.05mm)

I suppose that if you can make them in a comparable quality, your reward will be double when working on your watches....and who knows it that could be a beginning for a new business! In any case, the time and effort put into this type of manufacture makes it very expensive especially for an individual using regular (not specialized) tools.

Of course this is only my opinion...if I had the minimal tools for this job I might have been already doing this, but it's just me!

Check out this link: http://www.tp178.com/jd/watch-school/1/article1.html

Robert

Edited by bobm12

Hi Rossco,

There are a number of tools Bergeon is making a killing with that are usually made by a watchmaker in training. An example will be the balance tack, a very sharp pointed stick on a base used to work on balance wheels. I believe the challenge is in the size and finish required with the materials used (apart from the precise measurements and tolerances often in the range of 0.05mm)

I suppose that if you can make them in a comparable quality, your reward will be double when working on your watches....and who knows it that could be a beginning for a new business! In any case, the time and effort put into this type of manufacture makes it very expensive especially for an individual using regular (not specialized) tools.

Of course this is only my opinion...if I had the minimal tools for this job I might have been already doing this, but it's just me!

Check out this link: http://www.tp178.com/jd/watch-school/1/article1.html

Robert

Thanks for the insight Robert, very much appreciated. 

I'll have to look up the balance tack and its use and it may become my first apprenticeship project.  I also agree with you on the exorbitant pricing on some of the tools and oils and other supplies but I guess like everything, its all supply and demand.

Also, thank you for the link, very interesting and somewhat funny as well.  I can relate to some of the frustrations already!

Cheers,

Rossco

I just made (whittled?) two pieces to use as my pegwood out of hard maple, only about half on the Janka Hardness scale as boxwood but serviceable I think... and so it begins.

I've also seen some examples of some very ornate and some very plain balance tacks and once I have the raw materials sourced, this will be my next project.

Meanwhile, back to the books!

Excellent Rossco, keep up the good work!

Let us know how the maple sticks work for you. Maybe that would be a better solution than the plastic sticks they sell out there.

One word of caution, remember wood may leave small pieces in the watch so always use a puff of air when you are done and check it out with magnification.

I wonder if a stick made of brass could be a good idea...

Robert.

• Like 1

Excellent Rossco, keep up the good work!

Let us know how the maple sticks work for you. Maybe that would be a better solution than the plastic sticks they sell out there.

One word of caution, remember wood may leave small pieces in the watch so always use a puff of air when you are done and check it out with magnification.

I wonder if a stick made of brass could be a good idea...

Robert.

Thank you Robert, this is actually one of my greatest accomplishments so far in the world of watch repair LOL :D 

I'm not sure but I would think if your pegwood isn't working and you need to use something brass, to back off and re-evaluate, but I'm probably overly cautious at this point?

I haven't made any tools for working on watches yet, but I did make a full set of tools for servicing a Jaeger-LeCoultre Atmos clock!

Geo,

I'm curious what you made if you care to share or is it on here, previously posted, I couldn't find anything?

From Wikipedia...

"Its power source is an internal hermetically sealed capsule containing a mixture of gaseous and liquid ethyl chloride, which expands into an expansion chamber as the temperature rises, compressing a spiral spring; with a fall in temperature the gas condenses and the spring slackens.[1] This motion constantly winds the mainspring. A temperature variation of only one degree in the range between 15 and 30 degrees Celsius, or a pressure variation of 3 mmHg, is sufficient for two days' operation"

They date back to the Seventeenth Century.  Amazing for the technology at the time.
Edited by RosscoInOshawa

@Rosso, it is an accomplishment no matter how small. Believe me, whitling pegwood to fit a watch could be pretty hard sometimes! I learned the hard way trying to make one thin enough to peg a jewel.

@Geo, I would like to know too. I wasn't familiar with those watches until you brought them up. They seem to be amazing, like magic! Just imagine almost no friction!

@Rosso, it is an accomplishment no matter how small. Believe me, whitling pegwood to fit a watch could be pretty hard sometimes! I learned the hard way trying to make one thin enough to peg a jewel.

Thanks Robert, now that you mention it, the two are currently the size of something to be used in a Grandfather Clock so I best keep whittling if I'm going to use them in a watch.  The fine tip is actually the most difficult to form so it stands up with use.  I actually tried a pencil sharpener early on in forming it.

Maybe plastic or brass IS the way to go?

I  see! No, each has its own use I believe. Pegwood itself is for mostly cleaning and improvise "temporary" tools but could also be use as an aid for holding things down. The disadvantage is that wood needs to be cleaned after for debris can contaminate the watch.

Plastic is mostly for holding stuff down and it shouldn't leave any debris behind...I myself have not found a lot of use for the plastic stick but since it is sold I suppose it has a lot of use in certain situations just by looking on its price: $3 to $10 dollars a pop depending on how nice it is! Normally, the oiler cap (attached to the oiler) will do the same for me..but it is only me I think.

Geo,

I'm curious what you made if you care to share or is it on here, previously posted, I couldn't find anything?

Apart from a bent bit of wire and a piece of string I made a minute hand puller and movement holder. Both simple but effective! Here's a couple of pictures:-

post-124-0-43017800-1406713589_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-07737200-1406713619_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I would love one of the Jewel measuring micrometers, but the budget and wife, won't allow it.

So I bought a reasonable quality 0.001mm micrometer and formed a small piece of aluminium around the shaft, which will also slide to allow normal use of the tool.

It is excellent for Jewels as they sit flat on the arc of the sleeve and give as good a readout as the top of the range one.

post-227-0-36710800-1406742003_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-18658800-1406742016_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Apart from a bent bit of wire and a piece of string I made a minute hand puller and movement holder. Both simple but effective! Here's a couple of pictures:-

Wow!  Very nice and perfect knurling!  Your machine shop skills are showing through.  Thanks for sharing.

I would love one of the Jewel measuring micrometers, but the budget and wife, won't allow it.

So I bought a reasonable quality 0.001mm micrometer and formed a small piece of aluminium around the shaft, which will also slide to allow normal use of the tool.

It is excellent for Jewels as they sit flat on the arc of the sleeve and give as good a readout as the top of the range one.

attachicon.gifClose up.jpg

attachicon.gifClose up 2.jpg

I bet the jewels are hard to handle and measure!  I hope you don't mind if I swipe your idea and I fashion one similar?  What an excellent idea!

Thanks for sharing Legarm!

Edited by RosscoInOshawa

I bet the jewels are hard to handle and measure!  I hope you don't mind if I swipe your idea and I fashion one similar?  What an excellent idea!

Thanks for sharing Legarm!

No, not really, just drop it in, make sure the jewel is laying horizontally and wind the micrometer down. No more difficult than the £300 one. I tried to keep it simple to avoid costs, this works, so,  "if aint broke, don't fix it".

Do post pics of your version, I look forward to it.

Edited by Legarm

No, not really, just drop it in, make sure the jewel is laying horizontally and wind the micrometer down. No more difficult than the £300 one. I tried to keep it simple to avoid costs, this works, so,  "if aint broke, don't fix it".

Do post pics of your version, I look forward to it.

I will, thanks Legarm for the interest.  I'm going to try and finish the balance tack I've accumulated the raw materials for and maybe have a show and tell post at some point.

I should clarify, and I do apologize, but when I said "I bet the jewels are hard to handle and measure!" I meant without your added device installed as I have wondered how you could get the jewels between the anvils without fumbling them - thus the add on!  Nifty idea!

I can't believe the price of some of the supplies and equipment being sold.  I'm still picking up some of the "necessities" but charging upwards of $10.00 Canadian for 20 pieces of pegwood('s ?) is ridiculous in my opinion.  Highway robbery!

• 2 weeks later...

I've made a few of my own tools:

Case holder:

post-140-0-17189100-1407938260_thumb.jpg

Movement holder:

post-140-0-17092100-1407938259_thumb.jpg

Oil pots and oiler (not shown):

post-140-0-09591000-1407938258_thumb.jpg

Caseback press (just some appropriately shaped blocks for use with a drill press):

post-140-0-09699400-1407938257_thumb.jpg

Crystal press (a block molded to fit a domed crystal, to use with the drill press):

post-140-0-37397200-1407938255_thumb.jpg

Demagnetizer:

post-140-0-45242400-1407938256_thumb.jpg

And of course the timing machine I'm working on.

The articles on my web site show some of these tools and other in use.

• Like 3

Hi svorkoetter, could you tell us more about the demagnetizer and how to make one if possible. I've been searching but with mixed results. I bought a cheapo one also with mixed results. Thank you in advance.

Robert

PS. nice tools by the way. I also found your thread (long time ago) in another forum where you modified an invicta watch, checked out your page, etc. I might do the same pending the invicta purchase. I liked that mod a lot and the fact I can file their logo off)

Edited by bobm12

Thanks for sharing svorkoetter, thats terrific!  Much appreciated.

I particularily like the wooden movement holders. 

I've been pricing plate brass here at some of my local materials sources and its not cheap.

I've seen articles on all wooden clock movements that actually function...  that could be interesting :)

Hi svorkoetter, could you tell us more about the demagnetizer and how to make one if possible. I've been searching but with mixed results. I bought a cheapo one also with mixed results. Thank you in advance.

Robert

PS. nice tools by the way. I also found your thread (long time ago) in another forum where you modified an invicta watch, checked out your page, etc. I might do the same pending the invicta purchase. I liked that mod a lot and the fact I can file their logo off)

Robert, I've been using a bulk VCR tape demagnetizer on tools for some time now with good results.  Also a VCR head demagnetizer - its small and has a rubber coated, roughly 1/4" dia. tip for smaller items and I see them all over the various flea markets around our area for next to nothing and could be a source of almost ready made parts..

Starting at a distance from the coil it should work on watches and other parts. 

Might be worth a try? 

• Like 2