Hello and thanks!

b3pete

Hi,

Just to say I've recently sign up after a brief period of lurking about in this forum... I'm a musician by trade, but enjoy mechanical stuff, which is just as well seeing as my main instrument is Hammond organ.

I've recently got interested in mechanical watches, my long-term goal to be able to give my old 1950s(?) Unitas military style watch a proper seeing-to. (it has a manual-wind Unitas 198 Incabloc movement which features a sub-second dial.) In the mean time, and to get used to things I've been buying old/cheap HMT 0231 watches on Ebay, and have now "serviced" three of them with pretty good results. The current one I'm doing seems to have a problem with the balance, and I'm waiting for a screwdriver sharpening tool to arrive before I can disassemble the balance properly. Wow such tiny screws! :)

I'm at the stage when I'm gradually building up my watch-tool collection. I think the next (and first major) purchase will be a staking set of some description. Since I'm a hobbyist and notoriously careful with my money, I'm scouring the classified ads for something well used but serviceable.

Anyway, thanks for all the fascinating info here. I've also benefitted from Mark Lovick's excellent Youtube videos which are so excellently produced. How on earth he manages to film what he's doing I'll never know.

Pete

(London,UK)

Hi! Greetings!

A Hammond player, hmm? I love that percussive sound, Leslie speaker winding up and down, and the growl you can get when you overdrive the amp. So cool.

Had an old M3 at one time, got tired of trying to move it around, so I decided I would "cut it down" to portable format. It didn't end well. :( Chicago being the home of Hammond, there was an outfit, wish I could remember their name, that specialized in doing same, but at the time I didn't have the money to buy one of their portables. I did get my preamp from them, though.

Good fun.

And now I work on watches! 

Yes it's a glorious sound! I have several Hammonds (C3 & A-100) but rarely play them live due to the fantastic modern portable equivalents! Through a real Leslie it's all but impossible to spot the clone these days.

I chopped down a L-100 and a C-3 once, but would never again. Now I call it vandalism :mad: We don't see many M-3s over here, but they were really neat. Plenty still in the US though, and nice and cheap.

If you ever get the Hammond bug again there's an excellent online message board at:

http://list.hamtech.org/listinfo.cgi/hamtech-hamtech.org

Loads of info in the archives there. Anyway, to keep this vaguely on topic, one of Hammond's early projects was a mains powered clock (synchronous motors were Hammond's thing).

My screwdriver sharpener has arrived, so I'll be trying it out later so I can hopefully get that balance spring removed. That'll be my fun for today!

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome from foggy Northumberland.
Be careful you don't re-ignite the hollow ground vs flat screwdriver profile debate!
If you think musicians get obsessed with their instruments, just wait for the next posting storm on tweezers or leather strap polish or whatever...

Cheers, Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1