New Job, new workshop

Ray716

I've just recently started a new job with a company that is interested in doing their own in-house repairs on watches. I'm trying to figure out what tools are absolutely needed when setting up a new shop to repair Quartz watches.  I have many of the most basic tools, but I'm wondering what I'm forgetting and I'm looking for suggestions. Tools that you can't live without or that make things easier. 

Thanks in advance! :D

What's your market? Cheap fashion watches or the better end of the range?

If you are at the cheap end then movement swaps rather than repairs would be your MO. That and battery changes. As jdm says you need a quartz tester but make sure it has a line free function. This spins up the movement with a magnet and breaks up old grease and light corrosion. Still a cheap but essential tool.

Otherwise you need to open cases, hold movements, etc. Same sort of tools as a clockwork watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

what do you have already? Maybe we can add what is missing in your list....

Sure.

I have a new set of screwdrivers, a case wrench and case knife, some movement holders and a movement cushion, a case back press, a basic battery tester, Hand pullers and hand fitting/setting tools, tweezers, an assortment of band tools a solid steel bench block/anvil, a battery cabinet with enough batteries, a selection of spring bars and band pins and back gaskets (more to be ordered as I noticed a need)

On my wish list right now: Flex Shaft Machine, Polishing set-up, Witchi Quartz Tester, UV light and Crystal set up... And what I'm looking for is what I've forgotten or what I didn't know about. Hope this helps :D

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. I know to help save the company I work for some money I'm going to need some diagnostic equipment, but it's all sooo expensive so they don't see the long term benefit of it yet. I also want them to get a pressure tester so we can verify Water resistance in the watches we service. Otherwise, can you think of anything I'm missing?