Tightening a cannon pinion on wrist and offset cannons also

I take it the cannon pinion is slipping. I tightened a cannon pinion on a 6497-1 using a staking tool.

Basically, it involves setting it on a stump and then placing a punch on the pinion and giving it a tap with a hammer. You have to be careful about the alignment but I was surprised how hard I had to hit it to resolve the problem. The watch works very well now. 

The job is fiddly but what watch job isn't?

There may be a YouTube video about this somewhere but I've not seen it.

• 8 months later...

I had to tighten the offset cannon pinion on a Zodiac Sea Wolf 72B 17jwl and wanted to share the process, along with the tools that I used to do so.  This worked first time for me.

My first attempt at separating the gear from the wheel was by taking tweezers and using the wedge method but this was too uncontrollable and dangerous on the fingers and parts.  I located an old roller table remover tool that seemed to work fine.  It had a threaded post and nut to use for closing in the two arm jaws but threads were stripped.

Remover_used.thumb.jpg.5edbefb4fa12f16ea16d5c54afed7ef9.jpg

clippers.thumb.jpg.09fb4e88f948d753aeec942f06e323cb.jpg   

Once removed, I used these two to tighten the cannon pinion.

Staking.thumb.jpg.7b9886e4e71e54e42152a2bcd97c5374.jpg   

DON'T FORGET TO LUBRICATE THE POST BEFORE PLACING THE CANNON PINION BACK ON!  I'm sure that this dry wear was the culprit in it being so loose at this point in time.

cannon_tool.thumb.jpg.42a06b12ad865bf542b45a89c83831de.jpg

I also came across this cannon pinion tightening tool in an old watchmakers bench that looks quite handy.  I would attempt to use on a standard cannon pinion but like the control of the process outlined here for the offset style.

I hope this helps others in their encounter with the offset cannon pinion.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hi George C.-

I own a few Zodiac Sea Wolfs, one since new.  I don't work on them

I know one needs this cannon pinion tightening.  I have two others (much rougher condition) that probably also need it.

Do you do repairs for customers?  Would you be interested?  If yes, could you please tell me a price?

They all need cleaning and oiling also.

Thank you!

Jeff

[email protected]

• 1 year later...

I use fingernail clippers also. I also look though my stem collection for one that has a small enough spike on the end to stick inside the cannon pinion so I will not crush it while adjusting it with the clippers. I've always thought they should use a very small o-ring inside the cannon pinion for friction. It's a wonder they work at all. There is a very fine line between too tight and too loose.

I can almost guarantee it's the canon pinion. You can actually hit the little thing surprisingly hard with a 'little hammer' in order to tighten it. A staking tool helps. 

My cousin ran a giant printing machine for a major newspaper in Winnipeg. One day the printer wouldn't work. He phoned the manufacturer and they sent a repairman out to fix it. The repairman, who had a stethoscope with him, asked my cousin to turn on the press. Then he walked up and down the machine listening with the stethoscope. After a few minutes he asked my cousin if he had a hammer handy. My cousin gave him a ball peen hammer and the repairman hit the press where he'd been listening with the stethoscope. Because it was already turned on the press started working immediately. The repairman left and after a few weeks the newspaper got a huge bill from the printing press manufacturer. My cousin phoned the company and asked to talk to the repairman about the astronomical bill. My cousin complained that all the man had done was hit the press with a hammer. The answer: 'Perhaps, but did you know where to hit it?' 

Anyway, the morale of the story is: Don't use a ball peen hammer on a canon pinion. 

• 2 years later...
On 2/9/2018 at 5:29 PM, GeorgeC said:

cannon_tool.thumb.jpg.42a06b12ad865bf542b45a89c83831de.jpg

I also came across this cannon pinion tightening tool in an old watchmakers bench that looks quite handy.  I would attempt to use on a standard cannon pinion but like the control of the process outlined here for the offset style.

I've seen a few of these on ebay, can anyone explain how to use them?

Aslo this style

image.thumb.png.2ecb2a32a0b51d063741f7745f7ad364.png

I also looked at this

image.thumb.png.be426b48fca472ef5f3d0dd56996a874.png

However my clone jewelling tool is 4mm x 4mm (anvil) so will not work with this

Any ideas?

35 minutes ago, Waggy said:

I've seen a few of these on ebay, can anyone explain how to use them?

Aslo this style

image.thumb.png.2ecb2a32a0b51d063741f7745f7ad364.png

I also looked at this

image.thumb.png.be426b48fca472ef5f3d0dd56996a874.png

However my clone jewelling tool is 4mm x 4mm (anvil) so will not work with this

Any ideas?

I have both of these . The top one has a needle to slide the cannon pinion onto that prevents it from being crushed while tightening the detent, mine i posted in tool of the day as a mystery  tool some time ago. The Bergeon one employs a different method of using impact on the chisel with a hammer. You can clearly see the v anvil that supports the cannon pinion on both. For that you would want to supply your own internal support such as a brass rod or needle. There is also another type like the Bergeon that has a depth stop for the chisel, i obviously have that one as well 😆. Bergeon also do the pliers some folk just make them from nailclippers and add an adjustable depth stop. 

Screenshot_20231104-092124_eBay.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 2