Stem/Crown Issue

I've just picked up an H801-6008 that is quite a cool and I'm trying to get it all going. The digital module seems to work fine (although the pushers seem to be full of DNA as does the rotating bezel). But the analogue section seems to be troubled as I couldn't get the hands to move after pulling the crown out to position 1. Dropped the movement out and the crown/stem joining seems to be broken. I can hold the stem still between my fingers and rotate the crown over and over in either direction. I can't seem to unscrew the crown from the stem either, and the crown appears to press down the stem a bit and bounce back as if spring mounted. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do next: Do I need to bin it and buy a replacement crown and stem? Or is there some technique I'm missing.

Hope I've described it properly. Every day is a school day with me!

The stem is bought as a complete unit. If you are in luck all you need is to source the crown and stem combo? Which could be a little tricky? 

Is it  a gold plated watch u have? If so this is the crown u need? 1E45B1SNG0

http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=SEK_CS^H801-6008

cousisnuk has it in stock :) https://www.cousinsuk.com/search?SearchTerm=1E45B1SNG0

Edited by rogart63
  • Like 1

Yes, quite odd. I've just had a thought that perhaps somebody has bunged another stem in there from a different watch. Righto, I guess the natural course of action is to source a replacement.

The question removing though, how can a crown just rotate on a stem? I am too new to this to know the answer, it;snot what Iwas expecting.

Reading the instruction manual confirms my suspicion. some of these models do infact have a screw down crown. (which you describe almost without doubt) Which means the part that threads on to the stem is like a mount inside the crown that is indeed on a spring, they're not meant to turn independantly however (though it does happen when damaged) try to hold from the bottom most section of the crown with vice or pliers, nearest the stem and then unscrew the stem. 

Edited by Ishima
  • Like 1

Reading the instruction manual confirms my suspicion. some of these models do infact have a screw down crown. (which you describe almost without doubt) Which means the part that threads on to the stem is like a mount inside the crown that is indeed on a spring, they're not meant to turn independantly however (though it does happen when damaged) try to hold from the bottom most section of the crown with vice or pliers, nearest the stem and then unscrew the stem. 

Yes, quite odd. I've just had a thought that perhaps somebody has bunged another stem in there from a different watch. Righto, I guess the natural course of action is to source a replacement.
The question removing though, how can a crown just rotate on a stem? I am too new to this to know the answer, it;snot what Iwas expecting.

Which means the part that threads on to the stem is like a mount inside the crown that is indeed on a spring, they're not meant to turn independantly however (though it does happen when damaged) try to hold from the bottom most section of the crown with vice or pliers, nearest the stem and then unscrew the stem. 
Not with this type of Seiko crowns. As mentioned above they are a single assembly, the stem is not screwed in.