I just wanted to say I've had big trouble with my P C and it must have taken me around 4 days to get it all up and working. I got some sort of virus in the thing. It hijacked my firefox browser, turned everything in text into what I think was Chinese, kept opening windows in the browser at one time I'm sure there must have been 30 windows open, as soon as I closed one more would open. I was running Windows 10 which I didn't like, so much in it that I didn't need, so now I'm back with Windows 7. Many documents have been corrupted, I do have copies on my old Laptop, so that's some consolation as many are to do with my genealogy which has taken years to obtain. I'm also using Open Office which is free and works with Microsoft Office. So for now I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Edited by oldhippy
  • Like 1

My neighbour recently had a virus with windows10, it changed in his log in details. After a lot of swearing and asking around it was restarted with a start up disc in safe mode and he changed his password. Then he did a virus check
(i think it was Mcfee) which found a list of corrupt files and viruses.  I got the ache of windows updates and things not working after these so I changed to Mac approx 5 years ago and have had only one issue which was caused by some software that should have ran a digital microscope. A guy at Apple found the faulty file and deleted it for me and there was no charge for this service. Although expensive Mac are well worth the extra if like me your just not interested in computers (in my opinion that is)

• 3 weeks later...

Still need help with that malware problem oldhippy?

If you think you have some sort of malicious software on your PC, I recommend you to install an anti-virus software called malwarebytes anti-malware (its free) and run a full scan on your computer. Should find those viruses and allow you to remove them. I also recommend you to install an ad-blocking extension such as uBlock Origin to block any malicious advertisements on dodgy websites.

Cheers!

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice. I've got it sorted, I'm back on Windows7 I never carred for 10, to much spying included from Microsoft, did you know microsoft know everything you do on your P C right down to reading your emails, it has keyloggers installed so it knows every key you use, I know it gives you the option to turn stuff off but in many cases things are still on and unless you know what to do they still spy on you..

I have malwarebytes and addblock plus, I also have these.

SpybotAntiBeacon

AdwCleaner

ComboFix

Junkware removel tool

There are all free

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• OK, welcome in the world of alarm clocks... I guess the 4th wheel is dished because it is from another movement. If it was not dishet, then it would not mesh with the pinion of the escape wheel, am I right? The marks of wear on the 4th wheel pinion doesn't corespond to the 3th wheel table position, at list this is what i see on the picts. Calculating the rate is easy - there is a formula - BR = T2 x T3 x T4 x T5 x 2 /(P3 x P4 x P5) where T2 - T5 are the counts of the teeth of the wheels tables, and P3 - P5 are the counts of the pinion leaves. Vibrating the balance is easy - grasp for the hairspring where it should stay in the regulator with tweasers, let the balance hang on the hairspring while the downside staff tip rests on glass surface. Then make the balance oscillate and use timer to measure the time for let say 50 oscillations, or count the oscillations for let say 30 seconds. You must do the free oscillations test to check the balance staff tips and the cone cup bearings for wear. This kind of staffs wear and need resharpening to restore the normal function of the balance.
    • Glue a nut to the barrel lid, insert a bolt, pull, disolve the glue.  Maybe someone will have a better answer. 
    • The stress is the force (on the spring) x distance. The maximum stress is at the bottom, and decreases up the arm. That's why they always break at the bottom. I used a round file, then something like 2000 grit to finish. I gave the rest of the arm a quick polish - no need for a perfect finish. Just make sure there are no 'notches' left from cutting/filing. The notches act like the perforations in your toilet paper 🤣
    • It's probably a cardinal rule for watch repair to never get distracted while at the bench. Yesterday, after finishing a tricky mainspring winding/barrel insertion (I didn't have a winder and arbor that fit very well) I mentally shifted down a gear once that hurdle was passed. There were other things going on in the room as I put the barrel and cover into the barrel closer and pressed to get that satisfying snap. But when I took it out I realized I never placed the arbor.  When opening a barrel, we are relying on the arbor to transfer a concentrically-distributed force right where it is needed at the internal center of the lid. However, when that isn't present it's difficult to apply pressure or get leverage considering the recessed position of the lid, the small holes in the barrel and the presence of the mainspring coils. It was a beat-up practice movement so I didn't take a lot of time to think it over and I pushed it out using a short right-angle dental probe placed in from the bottom, but that did leave a bit of a scratch and crease in the thin lid. I had also thought about pulling it using a course-threaded screw with a minor thread diameter smaller than the lid hole and a major diameter larger, but that may have done some damage as well.  Thinking about how this might have been handled had it been a more valuable movement, is there a method using watchmaking or other tools that should extract the lid with the least damage? 
    • 🤔 what happens if lubrication is placed directly on top of epilame ? Making a small groove so the lubrication doesn't spread across the component but what if when lubing a little overspills and sits on the epilame .