Hammer2017

Reviving an old Brenray Cleaning Machine

Ok, happy tidings! I've finished all the soldering, put it back together, and everything is working! No blown bulbs, super heating resistors, or blown fuses!

The heater is heating up. I ran it for about 30 mins under supervision, and all seems to be fine. The plate gets pretty hot, but the air in the chamber doesn't get too hot, so I suspect the 60 degree thermostat might not ever kick in, but it's good to have it there just in case. I seem to be having trouble with photos again, but here' s a shot of it operating:IMG_2773.thumb.JPG.9a03804d3801f3f1443ba4569901aa42.JPG

I decided not to do anything with the control plate at the moment. The machine has taken up most of my watch time lately, and I want to get back to that. Maybe at some point in the future I'll get one made up.

Once again, thanks to everyone who has helped. Without you guys, I wouldn't have been able to get it all working again! I look forward to posting in the watch repair forums from now on!:D

I'm still using the plastic bushing I made (for the bolt through the elma bracket to the motor shaft). I've got those brass ones from ebay on the way, and will replace them when they arrive.

The speed control works, although it seems to be a very fast top speed. I've only run it dry though, I expect it will turn slower in the cleaning fluid. Will try that out when they arrive!

On 5/12/2017 at 3:08 PM, Hammer2017 said:

Thanks again Rob. I've taken some photos of the brushes. I don't know how long they need to be, but they are spring loaded and seem to be in contact with the motor. Hopefully you'll be able to see from the photos if this is the cast and they are ok. It was hard to get a good shot. It'll also give an indication of the dirt inside the motor housing.

IMG_2754.thumb.JPG.36c9f6059428e276a42f6b236db71421.JPGcan you tell what size the brushes  shown are please also the spring length and diameter. Thank you.

Other images to follow... I'm having an upload issue!

Thank you to everyone who shared their knowledge, i managed to use some brushes made by Lucas but at the end of the day it turns out i have four or five sections down on the commutator, so i have to try and locate a used one.

Dear Fellow Watchmakers

I note this regarding acquiring and servicing a Brenray cleaning machine. I have also purchased one of these. The machine works, with the motor running and the heating element heating up.

I am an amateur watchmaker in training at a rookie level, to say the least. My master has recommended that I service / re-wire this machine before use.

I'm not confident to undertake this myself and would prefer to hire the services of a professional (or at least someone who has undertaken a job like this before).

Would anyone in this thread be able to offer this service or know someone who would?

I am based in NW London

Kind regards

Nick

9 hours ago, maclerche said:

Only if you have a functional RCD 

I think I'd disagree with that.  A GFI is safer so I agree would maybe have a greater chance of saving a life, however a ground frame will cause a regular fuse/breaker to go if the frame comes into contact with something hot.  i.e. without a grounded frame, a frayed hot wire makes contact with the frame and the whole machine is hot waiting for the operator to touch it (no doubt barefoot and standing in a puddle :) ) to provide a path to ground. 

Edited by measuretwice

53 minutes ago, measuretwice said:

I think I'd disagree with that.  A GFI is safer so I agree would maybe have a greater chance of saving a life, however a ground frame will cause a regular fuse/breaker to go if the frame comes into contact with something hot.  i.e. without a grounded frame, a frayed hot wire makes contact with the frame and the whole machine is hot waiting for the operator to touch it (no doubt barefoot and standing in a puddle :) ) to provide a path to ground. 

I do not know what you call it in Canada (can you explain GFI?) but here in Denmark and most of EU we call it RCD or RCCD (old days HPFI) Anyway Here you can't have a private installation whiteout RCD (call it what you want) that turns off before a leak of 30 mA!  This is the only thing that can safe life. I agree that a ground will be a good idea as well.. but ground alone,  that will only safe your lift if you can be sure to have the same potential as the machine all the time... 

I think we are talking about the same but that it has different name here in EU and in US/CA?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device

https://www.consumerunitworld.co.uk/hager-cdc440u-rcd-four-pole-40a-30ma-2581-p.asp

Edited by maclerche

31 minutes ago, maclerche said:

I think we are talking about the same but that it has different name here in EU and in US/CA?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device

it might be slightly different.  GFI is ground fault interrupt,  same idea as RCD.  Essentially It trips if current on both wires is not the same - as you say, its looking for a leak.   

afaik in North America these are only required by code in specific circumstances - bathrooms for example.  You'd not see them in typical outlets or workshops.  Even in bathrooms, GFI requirements are usually handle at the outlet level - circuit itself is not GFI protected.  While GFI/RCD might give some theoretical improved protection, it just doesn't seem to be a problem given the rest of the code;  people are not dying and its not common or code to have to use GFI breakers (afaik)

All circuits are protected by a breaker or fuse - that is code.  This trips if too much current is going through the hot side.  However it doesn't care where the current is going - so long as its not drawing more amps than its rating, it won't trip regardless if the current is safely flowing back neutral or flowing through your heart.    This is not a safety issue outside say bathrooms where a hair dryer could get dropped in a sink as its almost impossible for a hot wire to touch a person without touch the frame.  Since the frame is grounded (as per watchabit) if a hot wire does come loose and touch it, the breaker instantly goes as the current flows through the ground.

It would be a major safety faux pas imo to think grounding the frame would only  have a safety benefit if use a GFI/RCD.   The problem of suggesting that, is if the party is in place that does not use GFI, they might interpret it as "no point in grounding since its not GFI/RCD".  Not true.  That ground does save lives/stop fires with a fuse/breaker as the instant a hot touches something it trips the breaker and stops current flow.   GFI or not, you want the frame grounded imo.

Edited by measuretwice

Well stated MT,

When working on any vintage equipment with two wire power cords, I always change them out for a three wire grounded cord that is grounded to the chassis. In the US grounds are all connected together and to earth ground. Any leak from load side AC to ground will trip a circuit breaker. Btw, gfi's are code required near a water source. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Moose
      I have recently purchased a National, Electric Watch Cleaning Machine. Attached is a photo for reference and identification of the model type. As can be seen, it has a fairly typical design, reminiscent of many other types, particularly Elma Super Elite. In fact, I do wonder which came first - the National or the Elma. My musings on this point later.
      This is a very old machine, circa late 1940’s, 1950’s, but they seem to turn up sometimes on eBay, in various conditions ranging from the “beyond hope” and only really suitable as a donor for parts, and the “old but serviceable” and might-be-worth-a-punt-on machines.
      This one fell into the middle somewhere, as it was a bit tatty and the heating element did not work. On the plus side, it had all its original cleaning fluid jars and lids, and the motor and speed control gave smooth, controllable spinning and no play in the bearings. I went to visit the seller to inspect it and we did a deal on the spot. This is not always possible on eBay, but as the seller had listed it as for collection only (due to its weight), it was a possibility on this occasion.
      Once I had it home and gave it the once over, I decided that I would have to either do without heating for the drying stage, or find a replacement element. At the same time, it was very obvious that all of the original cabling was not safe to leave in place and it would all have to be removed and replaced. Any other electrical parts deemed unsafe would also be replaced as I inspected them. So - the idea of a restoration (of sorts) was born.
      Now - it is not my intention to restore it to the point where it could pass current electrical safety standards, but I will be making it as safe as possible, without losing any of the essential character of the original machine. This is not going to be for resale, so being safe to use is an acceptable compromise, in my opinion. I will however, perform testing on it once the electrical work is done, to make sure that the essential aspects of earth leakage, earth bonds and polarity etc. are passed. (PAT Testing included.)
      Whilst this is not likely to turn into another example of a superb restoration of an Elma Super Elite (as seen elsewhere on these forums), I hope at least to have at the end of it, a perfectly serviceable watch cleaning machine, and a restoration story - of sorts - of a vintage piece of English watch making and servicing machinery.
      So first off - the before pictures. This one is a good view of the machine and its cosmetic condition, as purchased. The base is a heavy, cast alloy jobbie, with its original crackle paint job beginning to flake away in places, where the years of cleaning chemicals have attacked it,  but generally sound. The jars still had residues of cleaning and rinse chemicals present. The first wash jar (front left), was particularly grotty and can’t have been cleaned for years. Fairly ironic not to clean the thing, that cleans the things! Maybe it was just left unused and unloved for many years.
      The mains cable was a cloth-bound type I have not seen in years and could well have been original as it still had the old UK wiring standard colours of red/black/green. Also adding to the vintage-ness, was a very old, Bakelite three pin plug. This must have been one of the first of its type as I have not seen one in brown Bakelite before! (And I am 62...)
      Anyway, that’s enough for now, as I’m not even sure anyone wants to read much about such an old machine. If anyone is interested though, please add comments and I’ll add to the story as I make progress.
      At the very least, I hope I have found a potential solution to finding/ making your own heating elements for these old machines, which could also include providing replacements for Elma Super Elite, RM80/90 HCS511 etc. Machines. More details later...

• By Watex
      I have just purchased an old Brenray watch cleaning machine.  I have dismantled everything except the motor.  I need to remove the basket holder but I don't know how this is attached. It has a grub screw which I have drilled out since the head was broken, however, the holder won't come off. Is the basket holder attached to the piece above, is it attached directly to the motor shaft or is the whole assembly attached to shaft? Any help with this would be appreciated.

• By AlexeiJ1
      Hi Everyone,
      Recently I have become obsessed with ana digi watches from the 1980's! I really dig the style for some reason.

I was looking on ebay in the low price ranges and I found this little nugget for the princely sum of $5.70 - the shipping from Peru was an inflated $20 AUD - so I got away with it for under $30.
      It came well packed in a little padded envelope. It was missing the back, had severe damage, but I didn't see any rust stains on the back.

A view from the side

It is a Seiko H127A-5000 - the year could be between 1979 and 1980 - there is a little bit of info around the internet.

The case back will be an insanely rare part to find so I may have to CNC mill something or potentially 3d print a plastic back.
      That is if I can get it working.

The Crystal is trash. I've tried sanding it, will wait till I have some crystal polish - I haven't had much luck polishing mineral crystals.
      A new crystal is around $35 - with OEM Seiko writing.
      I removed the movement and soaked it in WD40 to loosen all the bolts. It was too seized to attempt opening.
      The LCD panel/dial has a crack in it. The sub assembly appears clean, the zebra strips on the LCD were a bit gummed up but cleaned up.

Happily the analogue movement was turning over freely, it wasn't ticking - but likely due to so much grit and much on the contacts.

The only corrosion was on the rotor, and some of the non important chrome plated parts.
      I've soaked them in shellite. Cleaned with blutac and then inspected under microscope.
      Everything appears fine.

It is a very high end movement with 8 jewels and all metal parts - it would have been top of the line back in the day. Very tiny parts.

The main circuit board is out - my it looks complicated.

Simple plain jane movement - nothing fancy: It's all inside:

The bridge is off and the rotor is next to the movement:

Cleaning the case:

Tonight I have finished cleaning everything - I have put it into my movement parts tray - awaiting some time after work tommorow.

If anyone knows how the LCD works please let me know - is the display in the top dial section? Or the next layer down? There is a white mirror presumably to reflect the light off the screen as this is the black model version (there were two models).

Parts look pricey and rare - I've found a dial panel NOS - also crystals online. May have to look for circuit board if its fried -

Can't find any bracelets - may have to go non OEM generic  steel band.

Goal is to get it running - if its not running - atleast to be a show piece in my cabinet.

More soon

• By radiumgirl
      Hi all,
      I got kinda jealous when I read a bunch of posts about people using Photoshop or InDesign to mock up dials and print them on decals etc... I mean, I know the real way to refinish a dial is to send it to the professionals, but I've been wanting to try to make some of the cheap and cheerful Bulovas I do be a bit more presentable before I wear them... Been wanting to try some diy approaches, but I always get stopped by the first task: removing the dial markers / indices.
      The few posts I've read about diy dial restoration speak about using a pin or tweezers to push the dial markers out from the back... but the vintage Bulova dials I see have totally smooth brass backs with no sign of marker feet or anything... so how do the dial refinishers remove them? Are they riveted on somehow? are they held on by varnish or something??? Anybody know?

Here's a pic of the kind of thing I'm talking about - hopefully someone out there knows how the dial people remove these little markers (and replace them)... inquiring minds want to know

• By radiumgirl
      So I picked up this bad boy on eBay from someone in Spain. It's pretty messed up cosmetically, and missing a heeled bush and a removing punch. Considering all that, I definitely overpaid, but oh well. I don't know how rare these are to find on eBay, so I just decided to grab it. 

I scraped off all the old flaking paint and found a very similar color paint at Michaels. Not a very professional job and you can see some brush strokes, but all in all it's much better. I know the colors look off in the pictures, but that's a camera white balance issue. In real life the colors are very similar... a completely unattractive greenish gray oatmeal. Why Bergeon used this color I'll never know. 

Carefully removed the rust from the metal plate with steel wool and very very fine sandpaper. Did the same with the punches and bushes which had a nice coat of oxidation on them, then put them through the ultrasonic like they were watch parts.
      The original chrome plating had worn away on the top knurled nut, but not to fear! I busted out my little Caswell "Plug N Plate" kit and used "copy chrome" (real chrome plating is dangerous and pretty toxic apparently, but I can't see much of a difference between old chrome plate and Caswell's 'copy chrome' - looks about the same).
      The biggest unknown was if I could find replacement punches / bushes and yep! I just ordered them from perrinwatchparts.com... they were super expensive. I definitely overpaid for these, but again, oh well. I just wanted the tool to be complete. 
      So ta da! I now have a Platax tool. I'm going to break out one of my many Bulova movements with a broken staff and experiment with using this tool on the poor thing.
      I don't know the I really needed this tool, per se. I have a nutcracker - type roller remover which works pretty well (I might have broken a few staffs by squeezing a little too much, but those staffs were broken anyway), and I have the little K & D balance remover tools for my staking set. I don't see how the Platax tool would be so so much better than the K & D tool, and I'd imagine any objections or concerns about the K & D tool widening the hole in the balance by using force instead of cutting out the old staff would also apply to the Platax tool, no? It also uses force to drive out the old staff while keeping the balance arms pinned. So maybe I didn't strictly need this, but when it popped up on eBay I couldn't resist, because I want to be able to follow along with what Mark does as closely as possible... and I'm still so new at doing this. 
      So, now I have a Platax tool, a complete 'inverto' K & D staking set (got for under $100, go eBay!), and just picked up a Seitz Jeweling tool (ouch, that was too expensive).
      I am now wondering what other real watchmaker specific tools you need to have to be able to deal with most, if certainly not all, the issues you find on vintage watch movements ???
      I mean, I'm not going to buy an old mechanical watch washer and put it in my one bedroom apartment in manhattan, not going to happen (at least, not if I don't want my husband to divorce me  ). So I make do with a tiny, cheap Chinese made ultrasonic machine. And obviously, I'm not going to buy a lathe either, for similar reasons (space constraints, expense, plus wouldn't know how to even begin to use it)... but I'm wondering if I've covered almost everything else?
      In terms of being able to make watch parts, yeah, that's the holy grail. Living in manhattan comes with many advantages and disadvantages. The disadvantages are obviously space constraints and expense of living. But the advantages are there are lots and lots of resources. In fact, there are a few "Maker Spaces" in the city, which are co-ops you can join and you can use their tools, like CNC mills, CNC lathes, 3D printers, 3D scanners etc etc... you can join these co ops for not much money, and they teach you how to use the tools.... I know that the consensus so far is that 3D printing watch parts won't work, because the machines are not accurate enough on such a small scale. But the CNC lathes? The CNC mills? Could they do micro-machining, in theory? It's something to think about. I think I'll create another thread about that sometime. Maybe I can pick up some good tips. 
      Anyway, hooray for overpriced watch tools! They are so much fun!