Seiko automatic chronograph 6139-8002

Hi,

I uncovered in my selection of old stock I got from an auction an automatic Seiko chronograph 6139. I read a little about some problems these watches had, namely the clutch on the centre chronograph wheel and the seconds hand mounting.

I am not sure if my diagnosis is close: while the chronograph is running the watch keeps time pretty well (within a couple of seconds per day worn on hand). Not always, but more often then not, when the chronograph is stopped the watch slowly stops (say it takes 3-4 seconds). When the chronograph is released the watch starts running. The fly back button does the job properly, start/stop/restart button works well. The watch had issues with the hammer click (was too strong - not original hammer spring) but for the time being it is ok.

I did not disassemble the watch yet as I am waiting for the original hammer spring. So this is a little hypothetical/frivolous question: Is there a chance that the (weak spot) centre chronograph wheel needs just cleaning and oil rather then complete replacement? Parts for this movement are scarce and the centre chronograph wheel is unreasonably pricey and the wheel itself - as far as I found out is not serviceable. Any comment will be appreciated.

Regards

ps.

Picture for movement ID.

1970-seiko-chronograph-6139-8002.jpg

Demand gets the price up. Unfortunately a lot of this wheels are broken and they are therefore hard to find. That is why the price is high. 

As for the question if the wheel need to be replaced? Could be that it needs a clean? And that all it needs is to be proberly adjusted. Check the spec how you adjust the chronograph function. 

Is it an A or B movement? The A chronograph is more prone to bad wheels? 

Nice watch btw :) 

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=Z2xlYXZlYW5kY28uY29tfHRlY2huaWNhbHxneDo1MjlmNzBlMThlMzQwYTUx

• Like 1

@ rogart63,

thank you for you comment (optimistic) and the repair manual (how do one find them?). This is the B movement so there is a little more hope. Are there significant differences between A and B?

I did not like the heavy watches before this one. It wears very nicely. It would be good to restore it.

Regards

11 hours ago, zenon said:

@ rogart63,

thank you for you comment (optimistic) and the repair manual (how do one find them?). This is the B movement so there is a little more hope. Are there significant differences between A and B?

I did not like the heavy watches before this one. It wears very nicely. It would be good to restore it.

Regards

Manuals for Seiko and a few others i usually find here. http://tech.gleaveandco.com/

Difference between A and B is mainly a few springs that looks different and i think the keyless work is different to.

Most parts for A doesn't work in B

Chronograph wheel is different. 

file:///C:/Users/admin/Downloads/Chronoraeder%20888xxx.pdf

Edited by rogart63
  • Like 1

This is what started my morning :( . I  thought i would service this 6139 today. Open it up and found a mismatch off different parts from A and B 

Don't now which parts i need to replace? Or if the owner is willing to take the cost? Would proberbly cost a few £100 . To replace the upper automatic bridge for a B and minute recording wheel. And maybe even the chronograph wheel. Don't now if it's an A or a B 

DSC08310.thumb.JPG.b5cf7522c74798064128c1c8ee758780.JPGDSC08309.thumb.JPG.70ca1339e4adba1493e8512bfcad0832.JPGDSC08308.thumb.JPG.1c68ffaa668829047a0c6f27f382f10a.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...