Urge to learn watch servicing and repair

Hi guys & girls,Iv been in the watch trade for a few years, dealing with your standard fashion watches like armani diesel fossil etc.

iv got very limited knowledge of watch servicing or repair, I'm use to just swapping quartz movements, glass, hands, crown etc.

My father has been in the watch trade since the early 70's he has been repairing watches since then and recent retired due to health conditions.

dads has given me all his watch parts movements tools machines.

i have decided to learn watch repairs and servicing as my dad always wanted one of his sons to carry on with his passion.

so here I am with a fire burning within to learn my dads trade and make him proud.

unfortunately his not able to teach me but over the years I have learnt I little.

i came across this forum and Mikes videos on YouTube and was blown away with level of detail and effort Mark has put into the videos.

and have been studying everything he does ever since.

i look forward to being a active member of this forum and would like thank Mike for all his effort

Hello Virus and welcome to this friendly forum. If you intend to become a watch maker/repairer and earn a good living you need an apprenticeship. There are online courses with the BHI, I don’t think you have to attend. I’m retired so I’m not up to scratch on this type of thing. What I can tell you is do not go for one of those crash courses there a waste of money. Back in the early 70’s I undertook an apprenticeship of 5 years then another 2 years as what was called an improver. I spent about 30 years making and repairing watches, but my main interest was high quality antique clocks.  One other thing you never stop learning.

• Like 1

Welcome virus, You have the advantage of not having to purchase tools and have enough subjects to work on until your skills improve, this is the right place for tips/advice without all the hassles of judgement. Miles ahead of most of us, so take the opportunity and run with it, don't give up until you are positive the options are exhausted. Make mistakes and learn from them, this is what this thing we call watch repair is all about! Good luck and look forward to hearing your challenges, because there will be challenges! :biggrin:

Dave

• Like 1