I suppose you can always use double sided tape to affix it to the bench/table if it is not staying properly in place...the price can't be beat if it performs well. The different versions from Horotec, Bergeon and Chinese range between US$12 and US$45, the cheaper are either non anti skip or peel the back for permanent (glue) attachment...color will also make the price vary.

It lies flat and doesn't really slip around on the bench. The silicone is very slightly sticky. No adhesive needed. [emoji1]
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey Folks,

A while ago I purchased a Bergeon 6808 bench mat that I am not very happy with. It curls up at the corners even after being stuck to the bench and dents easier than I would like.  Time to replace it.  Before I do I thought I would ask the group what their thoughts are and what they are using?

Eric

I needed a portable mat for working at home, and find that the polyurethane foam sheet from UK store called Hobbycraft works well. It has a foam surface, so it will pick up dirt, but nothing is damaged by it, nor bounces off it, and it rolls up and fits in my box. 

• Like 1

Some really good ideas!  Will be looking into them.

SSTEEL are you happy with you black mat?  Never really thought about anything but the traditional green mats and havent seen them used before.

Thanks again guys,

Eric

4 hours ago, Tcarpilot said:

Some really good ideas!  Will be looking into them.

SSTEEL are you happy with you black mat?  Never really thought about anything but the traditional green mats and havent seen them used before.

Thanks again guys,

Eric

I'm actually impressed with its non-slip capability, but the colour isn't working very well with my work, prefer to have a light green mat, so will be looking for non-slip green mats soon.

• 2 years later...

I’m looking for some kind of mat/laminate to cover my desk 155x75.
Something similar to the bench mats such as Bergeon or Horotec. It doesn’t have to be as good as the bench mats but should be soft but firm and inexpensive.
I found some anti static mats, probably for electronics but they were expensive, around £300. Horotec does 100x100, not big enough and expensive at £125
Any thoughts?

Hi Peter  I too looked at the custom build mats and came to the same conclusion, I eventually found a hobbies cutting mat of sufficiently large size to do the job although it was covered with a yellow printed graph. I discovered that this can be cleaned off using Carburetter cleaner (in an open space) and leaves a nice green clean surface and equates with any over priced job. If required I will post a picture of the said mat.

Thank you guys.
I don’t know why I’ve not thought about a cutting mat. I have an A3 here. It’s a bit hard for my liking but it may just do the job.
I’m still on a lookout and having more success not using keywords such as anti static. Do you think PU leather would be good? I found this, not quite large to cover the whole desk but it’s a good size:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FQG724T/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?pd_rd_i=B07FQ7Q33W&pd_rd_w=Rvye0&pf_rd_p=1055d8b2-c10c-4d7d-b50d-96300553e15d&pd_rd_wg=OR8F7&pf_rd_r=MD5W8NRRWMYBKGC5M6M2&pd_rd_r=554b1bf9-9f5e-40be-9474-66f98e215481&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzVUNCUTNBUDdKS1pQJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjkxMzQ0RVFMMVZIREM2Wk81JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA2MzM1MzczSVUwTE43TUVUOUpHJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

I have used drawing board mat . Bought some from a place called Matton in sweden . Not as expensive as the Vyco mat. Maybe can be bought from other places. Called Pro-tec - -https://www.mattonbutiken.se/produkt/protec-ritbordsplast-vit-gron-pa-lopdecimeter

As for now i only use a bit of acrylic sheet in green.Works okay as long as it's taped down with some double sticky  tape .  https://www.mattonbutiken.se/produkt/plastark-50x70cm-vit

The mat is good. True to size, 132x81 cm. The description also mentions 4x2 ft but it is 132x81. I cut it to 132x75.
Mine has the print on the blue side which is a bonus as I will be using the yellow side.
It’s soft but firm, gives similar no bounce effect to the Bergeon mat.
I wouldn’t say it’s non-slip. It’s not like the Bergeon 7808 which stays ‘glued’ to the desk without the glue but it is very good even when not secured to the desk. It’s still a little ‘wavy’ after being tightly rolled up for several months and it may improve when it settles. I will secure it with double sided tape when it’s completely flat but I’m not in any rush to get one, it really is pretty secure. It’s not like the cutting mat that does need to be secured to the desk.

I’d recommend it, you really can’t go wrong for £25. I bought it on Amazon UK, here is the link and description:

Daskoo Texas Hold'em Table Mat,Leather Desk Pad 4x2ft Large, 132cmX81cm Double Side Non Slip, Anti-Scratch, Anti-Bacterial, and Easy to Clean Waterproof Foldable with Bag

20191201_110549 (Copy).jpg

20191201_110310 (Copy).jpg

• 2 months later...

I find those green ones last forever, but then I only cut on to them if I am scoring something like paper with a scalpel or roller cutter.

If I am cutting anything else, heavier duty cutting with a Stanley knife or chisel, I always work on a piece of wood. MDF is flat, works well and in the early days can easily be sanded or planed flat again. Once it gets beyond a certain point, I find another piece to work on and put the first bit in the woodburner.

Feel free to check this review if you doing research and currently deciding which one to get.

• 9 months later...

I was in Jewelers Tools in NY and he offered to sell me a magnetic bench mat. Anyone here use one? Is it worth it? While I understand it might be great for when you drop a screw etc. isn't it counter productive when it comes to automatic movements?  Also, do you find that you need to de-magnetize your screwdrivers more often?

Introducing anything magnetic into the work space when repairing watches is a no no I cannot see where it would be useful to have such a mat in watch repair. The only magnet I have is for those unfortunate times when a part does ping off into the distance I do a sweep of the floor with a magnet finds the part 99% of the time.

Now if your a big tea drinker I have a Chocolate teapot for sale somewhere.

Edited by wls1971
sellpnig
  • Like 4