A Classic Cortébert From The 1950S

WillFly

I did a lucrative wedding gig last Saturday - and spotted, by chance, a very nice Cortébert from the 1950s up for auction.

Did I resist? In a word - no. Cortébert started off in the village of that name in 1790, by a chappie called Abraham-Louis Juillard. The firm went through all the usual hoops when quartz arrived, but this example is a nice watch from before all that hoo-hah.

post-64-0-70032700-1406102871_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-44789600-1406102881_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-58434500-1406102891_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I like the look of that one Will. I have one question though, why is the transmission wheel so off centre? I'm assuming it wind OK.

Actually, it's not as bad as it might look - there's always a slight distortion of the photo when I use the macro function on my camera! It winds perfectly.

I took a picture recently of one of my movements, and it looked as though the incabloc spring was out of kilter when, in fact, it was perfectly seated!

Edited by WillFly

Just checked this carefully with a loupe - it's actually aligned OK - though the centre screw was ever so slightly loose, and I've tightened it counter-clockwise to make sure it's firm. There's something in the shadowing and the angles in the pic of the movement that makes it look odd... :startle:

That's good Will, it was worth the comment just to tighten the screw properly.

Just as aside, I think handling a certain watch has put me into buying mode again. I'm sure it was a carrier of that disease you have! I've just purchased a Girard-Perregaux wristwatch at a very reasonable price. I'll post up a picture when it arrives from across the pond.

Nice watch Will, congratulations on the new acquisition!

Geo, good eye even if it was only a picture glitch! Took me a minute to notice (I'm glad it was just the pic). And do please, post your new watch picture!

Got a similar one, used to be owned by my Uncle who was in the Royal Army Service Corps (RASC). He was wounded at Dunkirk, sent to Northern Ireland and honourably discharged due to his injuries in 1943. Inside is a 655 15j movement. I still have the original strap hidden away somewhere.

post-80-0-11231900-1406141157_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-17748000-1406141174_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-14888800-1406142028_thumb.jpg

....and I will get around to replacing the crystal in due course.

• Like 1

....and I will get around to replacing the crystal in due course.

That's a great piece of history to have, especially when it belonged to your uncle. If it was me I would do no more than service it and keep it running, warts and all. Thanks for letting us see it!

"A.T.P." - Army Trade Pattern - was used on British military wrist watches from the start of the war to about 1944. From then on until the end of the war and beyond, the marking was "W.W.W." - which I think means that the watch was waterproofed. Bravingtons, who dealt in Army Surplus, even marketed a waterproof watch as the "Wetrista"!

A.T.P. watches used all sorts of movements from Swiss makers - Jaeger, Unitas, Lemania, etc. - and could be very high quality. My Unitas is a superb watch of the type.

post-64-0-55734200-1406148209_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-30644400-1406148219_thumb.jpg
post-64-0-92193300-1406148271_thumb.jpg

Edited by WillFly
  • Like 1