Pearl Brand Watchmaker Tools?

Hi everyone,

I've just found this place in India where they offer the Janta (spelling?) cleaning machine and a whole staking tool set among others. Apparently, the Janta is a copy of the Elma (spelling?) which is a top rated machine I understand.

The price is attractive but the shipping charges are outrageous (almost like buying 2 sets). I'm still thinking about diving in and buying both but I'd like some input about their product, especially the staking set about which I have no experience. As I suggest above the company name is Pearl.

I'm not writing a link here in case that, by doing so, I'll be breaking any forum rules (could be interpreted as a promotion -- I have not link to them whatsoever). Just an honest request for opinions before I break the bank.

Thank you in advance,

Robert

PS. I submitted the link for consideration to the pertinent section of suppliers. I didn't know shipping rates then!

Edited by bobm12

No problem - you can post the link. A lot if their goods seem to be Elma copies.

Also noticed under construction pages which don't inspire much confidence. Buyer beware :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobm12,   

I have a relative coming from India next month.If it helps I can ask them to carry one for you.

I don't know how much it costs but you will have to pay local shpg from Austin TX,and local shpg chgs in India.

Should be cheaper than Int'l shpg.

Just returning the favor,since you helped fix my watch.

Thanks,

Thank you rarin2din,

I appreciate it and I might take the opportunity as you so generously offered, but before I commit I would like to have some input about the quality of the tools. I know they are no Bergeon, but to have a measure of how much they approach to a professional or at least a workable watchmaker set would be my aim with this post.

Some of our forum members have at least used the cleaning machine so that would be a start. In fact, it would be great if I can get people to review what they have from this company. Then I will make my desicion to buy.

The beauty of having it here is that other people can also benefit from this thread and make an informed desicion to buy or not according to their watchmaking needs and save money at the same time if it results in a viable deal.

But again, thank you I will keep your offer in mind!

Edited by bobm12

What is the difference in price compared to a swiss set? How much are you saving?

On the staking set...

Unless someone with experience using both voices out I'll probably stick with Swiss. Apart from the design, quality of the steel is important and nobody does this better than the swiss/germans.

Scenario.... you might buy these tools and find that you are unable to 'stake' a wheel properly and put it down to your ineptitude. But it could be a case where the tool itself is at fault but since you already bought the set you'd probably tell yourself that maybe you aren't cut out for staking and cut your losses which is a shame.

Simple example is tweezers... why pay $30 for a pair of dumont/bergeon tweezers when you can get a decent one for a few bucks?

When I first started out I bought tweezers from my local watchshop (pre-ebay). When I finally bought my first 'good' tweezers couldn't believe how much it improved my handling of parts.

When it comes to tools I think you should only buy the best.In fact I would go further and say a complete second-hand set from a swiss/german maker would be a better buy than a new on from india or china.

Anil

• Like 2

• 2 years later...