Mido Commander - Cal. 2834-2 - 28,000 A/hr Automatic

WillFly

Mido have been a major watch manufacturer since 1918 and have produced a number of innovative designs and numerous chronometer models. The "Commander" was first introduced in 1959 - I believe this one from my collection is around 1970 - and had a unique monocoque design. You can only get at the movement by taking off the bezel/crystal and front unloading from the otherwise watertight case.

The dial has a Rolex-like day window and date window, and the automatic movement beats at 28,000 A/Hr. I love it.

post-64-0-27895000-1405934379_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-79799600-1405934390_thumb.jpg

Tidy watch Will.

I think you should post a picture of the movement though! ;-)

Mmm... I'm not going to fiddle with the case on this one just yet! (You tempter). But here's a picture of the movement from another watch:

post-64-0-44283300-1405944550.jpg

You must have piped me at the post on that one Will!! ;) ...The strap is aftermarket and fits not too bad...I have a few Mido's which you take out via the front and can be a bit tricky sometimes. Would look great on a leather strap. If its running fine I'd leave well alone.

I'm sure I read a post about giving each other the heads up on ebay??

The seller threw in a leather strap for free after I'd got the watch - very nice chap to deal with. So far, it's keeping excellent time - and it has a second hand hack, which makes it good for really accurate time.

Bought it on a whim just before the auction ended. Sorry you got pipped, Ash...

You must have piped me at the post on that one Will!! ;) ...  I'm sure I read a post about giving each other the heads up on ebay??

Ash, you might be interested to read how I collect watches using eBay, just to demonstrate the complexity of my use of eBay... I'm a very serious collector of watches - within the parameters of my watch interests.

1. I actually scan through eBay almost every day, and sometimes twice a day.

2. I scan for auctions finishing in a couple of days, and no further.

3. Anything which catches my eye and meets my criteria, I add to my "watch list" - so...

4. My watch list might have anything from no items to over a couple of dozen items in it at any one time.

5. I do a fair amount of research into the items on my  watch list.

6. As the auction end-time gets closer for each item, I look at the bidding, check my budget, and decide whether I want to snipe it or not.

7. If an item gets chosen and is earmarked for sniping - i.e. I really want it and can afford it - I calculate a snipe amount which, I hope, will ensure a win - and then enter the snipe.

8. Nine out of ten times, my snipe wins the auction.

Given that that's my strategy, I'd find a mutual heads-up on eBay would flood the Forum with my activity! As you can see, I take it very seriously indeed.