Hayley

Singing Bird Cage - restoration

Hi,

I have managed to get hold of a singing bird cage at a reasonable price after years of trying.

It's not working...I would like some advice on what solutions to use to clean it as I think it just requires a good clean, nothings broken.

Can anyone tell me what make of cleaner to use and what lubricant would be best, have attached photo's!

Thanks

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

Hello Hayley and welcome.

Well I must admit that this is a first from my point of view and its outside of the norm for the forum.  There are so many members that maybe someone will know something ! 

I can see a mechanism in your pic with what appear to be plastic bellows and a regulator ? Try to work backwards through from the bellows to what and how someting is compressing them to how that something gets its power and how that power is supplied - wind up key ?

If it is a wind up operation it will involve a spring as the drive, giving a controlled level release of power to operate the bellows and perform any movements of the bird if that is applicable.  If it is a spring it may be wound up tight so be very careful if releasing that power or you may hurt fingers or eyes.

Really if the members were to help they need a tad more info and you would need to remove the movement for a better look.  If you are intent on diy, as you do so, take pics each time before and after removal of screws, bolts and parts generally.  Broken parts may present a problem with spares if they are needed so be careful.  Look for simple stuff first, has anything foreign got in there to jam the works.

Regarding movement parts, plastic is generally OK to clean with mild detergent and light brushing, metal parts of the movement could be cleaned in lighter fluid and in your position a light oil like sewing machine oil may be OK where metal touches metal on faster moving parts and 3 in 1 oil on slower moving parts to keep things simple but without a better view of the actual mechanism these are just guesses.  PS I have assumed it is mechanical if it is battery operated other info may apply.

I have deliberately kept away from complicating this help and hope that if others spot any flaws in my suggestions they will jump in to negate or supplement my advice.

Forum members here are helpful and often willing to give advice but I have to admit this is a new one for me,

Cheers,

Vic

So sorry I didn't reply, I didn't see this!

I have taken the mechanism apart and it's just a plastic cog that's broken, it's proving a massive problem but I am going to take it to a watch maker in Dorset who will hopefully be able to help. Will let you know how it goes! ☺

Yes it is a pity but I wouldn't have been able to afford the antique variety.

Basically the only difference is the bellows are plastic and this one cog is plastic the rest is the same.

I will look into getting it cleaned but if I were to do it myself what's the best cleaner and lubercant for the spring itself?

Thanks

Welcome Hayley:)

That is the first one I have ever seen except on the "Antiques Road Show", hope you get it up and running without too much trouble.

Please keep us up to date.

T

Hi, yes me too, I had seen them on TV....never thought i'd get hold of one, it cost me £20 on ebay which was amazing! I knew what was wrong with it before I bought it but it's a nightmare to get or make replacement parts.

Just been so busy that it's been on the back burner for years!

H :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By jakobvinkas
      Hello, I could not fint any answer to this on any other thread.
      Im using Isopropyl alcohol for the last step of hand cleaning movements. However i can not find a good way to throw used liquid away. How do you do it, I know that the liquid will turn into gas eventually however since i fill a small jar there is always going to come times when i need to throw it away. Where do i throw it?
      How do you do it?
      Thanks in advance, Jakob
    • By OpenHeart
      I recently found a vintage Pobeda wristwatch in my basement, model 1980-1989. Sadly, it is very old and not maintained at all, maybe since the early 1990s. It is mechanical, so I tried to wind it, but of course it couldn't wind. There is a resistant when I try to do it, so I opened its back and checked what's going on. It appears to me, that the Crown Wheel and the Ratchet Wheel are either too tight, or not lubricated/rusty or whatever the reason may be. Also I found out that when I move the watch around, it winds itself, as if it is an automatic one (it certainly does NOT have any rotor, so that is weird). So I was wondering what has to be done, at this moment I don't have any repair tools. If someone can at least give me a direction as to what has to be done, I could search for some tools. I'm not so worried about the watch itself, although it has a sentimental meaning to me, but am curious to find out what the reason for the problem is.

• By ali
      hi everyone,
      today I was working on a watch (the movement was eb8810) and after I was happy with the result I put the movement under a. glass, come back to it 2-3 hours later, still ticking so I put it back in the watch case and after about 15 seconds it stoped ticking as I started to move it around I don't know where to go from here wether or not it needs re-oiling or a new part in the balance operation, this is not the first watch I have experienced this in and didn't end up doing anything with the other watch.
      thanks in advance, 
      Ali
      p.s I am looking for an eb8800 movement in working condition so message me if you have one
    • By salemvii
      Hi all,
      I recently acquired a very busted up AR1798 with all the hands unseated. Initially I assumed that the repair would be as simple as popping off the back of the case, flipping the dial out and reseating the hands. However, much to my dismay it appears that the dial is slightly larger than the opening and cannot be pulled out the back of the watch. I then looked towards the bezel and hoped that popping that off would grant me access to the front of the dial but alas that too proved futile. Though the bezel did indeed come off, there still appears to be no way of prying off the front of the watch - looks like the bezel was just glued on for decoration...
      Any ideas before I throw this into a draw and forget about it?
      Cheers!

Watch back w movement removed

Profile of watch with bezel attached

Profile of watch with bezel removed (There's no seam to use to pry off the front, lighting makes it looks like there is)

• By Matthew
      Good (insert time here) everyone!
           I am relatively new to the world of clockwork repair and maintenence, but have done delicate metalwork, mechanism cleaning, and enjoy fixing things. Just recently, my sister brought home her boyfriends late great grandmothers singing bird in cage automata. For those of you who dont completely know or understand what it is, its basically a spring driven mechanism using bellows and a variable organ pipe to make bird sounds and move a little birdie around and "sing" (Example of singing bird mechanism working).
           His aunt wants it to be operational again, and after opening it up (not yet taking much apart) I have come to the conclusion that it could just use a good cleaning and oiling. But, my question is, what kind of oil should I use and how should I apply it? I don't have any fancy oils except for a bottle of valve oil for my trumpet at my current disposal, but I would like to buy some decent clockwork oil for this project and a sankyo music box repair I have waiting. 

Note: come to find out while writing this, it was made by eschle reuge I'm Germany, probably around the 50's or 40's.